• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Thoughts on starting a new karate federation?

SenseiMike

I've been on a quest for a while to find an organization that serves karateka in cheap and professional manner, and hosts a good ammount of tournaments, knock down and/or full contact specifically. I haven't really found anything that fits the bill, and I've developed this pipe dream of starting my own....but to me it seems a bit lofty.

any one got any Ideas on how posible an option that really is, or how to go about it?

You can become a great fighter without ever becoming a martial artist, but no sir, you can not become a great martial artist with out becoming a great fighter. To fight is most certainly not the aim of any true martial art, but they are fighting arts all the same. As martial artists, we must stand ready to fight, even if hoping that such conflict never comes.

-My response to a fellow instructor, in a friendly debate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You should sponsor some knock down tournaments first , to build a reputation for yourself and to c how the things would go .

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

Good Idea y2_sub,

Its probably a lot harder than people think to get these events off the ground.

I mean, even the proper insurance to cover all the competitors and officialls is expensive, so it might not end up cheaper in the end anyways.

You could not purchase insurance, but in the case of full-contact comps, theres a definant chance someone will sue for a bad injury.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

that's true about the insurance, but I guess you could always cover your butt with enough paper work. Having insurance tho, might be more of a draw to people.

How about a non-profit, anyone have any Ideas on how those work?

You can become a great fighter without ever becoming a martial artist, but no sir, you can not become a great martial artist with out becoming a great fighter. To fight is most certainly not the aim of any true martial art, but they are fighting arts all the same. As martial artists, we must stand ready to fight, even if hoping that such conflict never comes.

No idea about non-profit.

But I was thinking about this, and Im sure that any Kyokushin organization inyour local area will be happy to arrange joint knockdown comps with Shotokan.

I can imagine the adverts in BBmagazine:

1st EVER official Shotokan Vs. Kyokushin

Knockdown tournament.

Throw in a title like;

"Trans-Atlantic Titles"

to agin more peoples attention.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

Sounds very cool! I hope it happens. I think people can get put off by full contact or even some contact though. Good luck if you try starting a group.

The past got us here and leaving it alone was the only way I could be sure we'd never have to live through this nightmare again.

1st EVER official Shotokan Vs. Kyokushin

Knockdown tournament.

Sounds interesting :D

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

I've been looking, but I think that TN is pretty dead on kyokushin. We're chock full of wado and tkd, a few scattered kung fu schools, but no kyokushin that I can find. Heck, not even many shotokan schools around.

Why belong to any federation at all? BJJ has no governing body, and it's doing well.

It also has maintained its integrity without a federation. Won't find many BJJ McDojos!

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!