Thought of the day

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from "Hustle and Flow": It's not the size of the dog in the fight , but the size of the fight in the dog".

...You trying to make me not see that movie? :-P

heh

"Question oneself, before you question others"

Bruce Lee brigs up some really good points in his books about the above points. (except the movie hustleflow thing.)

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

Traditional MAists train with rules of ettiquete, restrictions of style, plus any rules put on their sport forms (If there is a sport form).

Because etiquette obviously gets in the way of learning? :roll:

And aside from having a style what restrictions are these? Are you saying for example that we couldn't do a technique just because it's not in our style? That's not the case, it's just with a style comes different and often better ways of doing the same things. Each style has this, even styles that don't call themselves styles have this. So where's the restriction relative to any one else? You can't know everything. In my opinion the important thing is that what you know works.

In my opinion this represents what I consider to be a mass misinterpretation of traditional arts. We don't all sit in rooms training under a certain set of conditions while choosing to ignore the changing reality of fighting in the outside world. In fact I'd say most of us don't. Sure we use kata but we apply them directly to relevant fighting in the real world. Truly traditional arts have always been focused on real world fighting. Not sport rules or dojo rules. What makes a traditional art so valuable is it's timelessness. How it can be applied to fighting in the now just as well as the past. Otherwise why would they have existed for so long? Sentimentality? I don't think that would be a very well informed conclusion.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

Sauzin said:

"the important thing is that what you know works"

Certainly.

Sorry, perhaps I should be more specific. Certainly respect should be paramount, but no more so than anywhere else in life. Just be polite :).

"In my opinion this represents what I consider to be a mass misinterpretation of traditional arts. We don't all sit in rooms training under a certain set of conditions while choosing to ignore the changing reality of fighting in the outside world. In fact I'd say most of us don't. Sure we use kata but we apply them directly to relevant fighting in the real world. Truly traditional arts have always been focused on real world fighting. Not sport rules or dojo rules."

If you train this way, great :D.

I could go on, but i'm hungry.

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

I suppose I'm wrong and wherever you live Shorin, Li Mu Bai is the scourge of the bar scene, but I was merely hoping to bring some intelligable discussion as to why many martial artists get creamed in street fights, despite how the theories and techniques they learn are far superior to just brute strength and flailing arms.

Fight the person not the style.

There is no teacher but the enemy.

yes it is but the reson for that is because certain styles usually train harder than others. just look at boxers/muay thai/MMA they do hours of techniques and working the bags and doing full contact then they go run and lift weights. mean wile the majority of schools do there kata and basics then do a little light contact sparing for an hour or to then go home and come back a couple days later to do it again. im shure that if a TMA guy trained as hard as a boxer of a MMA fighter then he would be able to use his art to fight but lets face it the average TMA guy does not train as hard as the average boxer or kickboxer.

Fist visible Strike invisible