• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Thought of the day

Everyone knows the arguments over whether a boxer/martial artist/wrestler or whatever would win in a fight will never end. But can we all just agree on the fact that boxers tend to usually come out on top in real life because they actually train to fight, and most martial arts schools don't actually train their students to truly brawl it out/take hits until high ranks...if ever?

I've seen countless martial arts schools that only teach point sparring, and then their students wonder why they get their rear handed to them in a real fight.

"Question oneself, before you question others"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"We all agree that there is disagreement over who would win in a fight...can we just agree that I'm right and you're wrong?"

Forgive me for my paraphrase. (And no, he didn't literally write that...)

So where is this wonderful spreadsheet detailing all the facts of the "real fight?" You know, the one that says 99.9% of all fights end up on the ground and that boxers usually win against non-boxer fighters. I even did a google search and I couldn't find it.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

Forgive me for not producing my evidence in graphical form, but I've heard of and have personally seen way too many self proclaimed martial arts experts/black belts get completely destroyed by some random guy that took them out without even spilling their beer.

I know in most martial arts circles (and I assumed this one as well, considering I saw a similar debate-intended post elsewear on here) people debate over why in alot of fights they've seen the guy who goes to grapple of just pummel senselessly tends to come out on top all the time.

I suppose I'm wrong and wherever you live Shorin, Li Mu Bai is the scourge of the bar scene, but I was merely hoping to bring some intelligable discussion as to why many martial artists get creamed in street fights, despite how the theories and techniques they learn are far superior to just brute strength and flailing arms.

Excuse me :roll:

"Question oneself, before you question others"

Well the notion that most fight go to the ground dependes on where you live and also that if a person does take you to the ground who's to say they will have the skill to put you in a arm bar or sumthing cause most of those so called ground fights is just the guy either standing over or siting on top of a guy punching them.

White belt for life

"Destroy the enemies power but leave his life"

But can we all just agree on the fact that boxers tend to usually come out on top in real life because they actually train to fight, and most martial arts schools don't actually train their students to truly brawl it out/take hits until high ranks...if ever?

Thats a generalization , what about thai/kick boxers , kyokushin karatekas , judokas , BJJ guys , shidokan , daidu juku , seido , ashihara , san soo and many others ???

Lots of black belts have been produced by commercial (Mc)dojos , those black belts are worst than untrained persons since they think they know how to defend themselves ( and keep telling every bodu about how good they are ) while they actually can't

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

I understand your point and agree with it 90%. The only things wrong with it are:

1) There are exceptions to such statements.

2) You can't exclude the styles y2_sub mentioned, they train all-out as well. I'd like to add JKD, certain Filipino MAs, catch wrestling, Western sword, sambo, and MMA fighting to the list.

IT IS ABSOLUTELY TRUE THAT IF YOU DO NOT TRAIN IN THE MANNER OF THE ABOVE STATED MAs YOU CANNOT BE EFFECTIVE AGAINST SOMEONE WHO DOES!

It doesn't mean you have to do those martial arts per-se, just incorporate that type of training into your regimine.

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

I think its down to the level of intensity and reality of training.

Not a particular style, as such.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

Well street/bar fights are usually won by who gets the first hit in. Usually this will be a surprise blow from behind possibly with a beer glass or chair etc.

People who start these fights are the kind of people who can stab someone and not lose any sleep over it. I would lose sleep over it and I think most MA's would to.

Yes I could stop someone with a strike to the throat or finger strike to the eyeballs but could I live with the consequences? In a life or death situation yes but in a meaningless drunken brawl? Im not sure.

Remember trained fighters, boxers, UFC etc still fight in a ring with rules.

It dosnt matter what style, how big you are etc. If you get jumped from behind with a baseball bat or stabbed or maybe your in a 2 on 1 situation. My advice is to get away as fast as you can.