• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Some very old, traditional arts were once used for training armies. This is one of the main reasons forms start and end in the same place. If 100 or 1000 people are doing an exercise obviously ending somewhere other then where you started would be unmanageable.

In my mind any true martial art must be focused on the most efficient way to remove an opponent. For a beginning martial artist killing is often the most efficient way to end a fight. Eventually the skill is obtained to where killing is not always the most efficient way and other options begin to open depending upon the choices your opponent makes and what is dictated by the situation. At the more advanced level of a martial art the options become entirely your own as the art teaches you to control every aspect of a fight and your surroundings.

From my perspective to set your goal at learning how to kill is to set the bar very low. Killing is easy. Given 3 months of 3 classes a week I could teach just about any person over a dozen ways to kill someone that work about 90% time. It's not that hard. But if you set your bar a little higher. Learn to fight, learn about conflict, learn about what your body can and cannot do then I think you will find the results more gratifying. It's all about asking the right questions.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How would a tai chi practioner fair against someone doing a military art like Krav maga or Advanced Commando Combat System.

Check out this link it says Tradtional Martial Arts's are for sport:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_Martial_Arts

I am looking for something deadly not because I want to kill people but I just want the knowledge. You'll never know how far you have to take things when its a life or death situation. Its either you or them.

Anakin, as I've said before, if you're going into taiji to learn how to fight, you will miss the whole point of taiji and never learn how to use it to fight as effectively as you could. If you go into taiji to learn taiji, you will come out with many, many benefits. Yes, one of those (though one of the least important in my opinion) is to learn how to fight.

You cannot "trick" your mind into saying "I'm just learning taiji to learn taiji" if you are really learning it to fight. Perhaps if you start taking taiji at some point you will understand all the other benefits that are there and the unimportance of fighting compared to other things it offers and your goals will switch. You cannot simple fool your mind, though. Unless you have dissociative identity disorder. In which case, good luck to all of you.

Fetch Daddy's blue fright wig! I must be handsome when I unleash my rage.

Taiji fajin you must realise that Tai chi is first and foremost a martial art. If it is not designed to cause serious damage or death then it is there to provide some form od self defence. You can't say I want to learn a martial art and not learn how to fight.

To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill.

Good point Taiji mistress, Do you study the Yang family long form?

Hi dtstaichi,

Yes, I'm currently studying the Yang long form and am finding it an incredible experience.

I have previously learnt, and still practice, Yang short form and Wild Goose form.

How about you?

Be careful of the teacher you choose as his students will be your greatest influence.

look i have nothing but respect for tai chi as an art but the thing is i have never seen any one who does tai chi as there primary art who could actually fight, im shure there are tai chi guys out there who are good fighters but i have never had the pleasure to spar one of them if any one knows a tai chi teacher who is any good at fighting in the mid west i will try to seek him out and take a few lessens and do a little sparing because i would love to see how an internal art could be used to fight.

AMITABHA

Fist visible Strike invisible

Taiji fajin you must realise that Tai chi is first and foremost a martial art. If it is not designed to cause serious damage or death then it is there to provide some form od self defence. You can't say I want to learn a martial art and not learn how to fight.

I agree that it is a martial art. What I'm saying is if your desire is to become a great fighter, you will miss out on how to become a great fighter. If the idea of starting with one thing to gain its opposite is not something you can accept, you're going to have even more trouble than usual with taiji (and yes, there is a lot of logic behind losing your ego and not going into taiji to become deadly, it's not just applying witty sayings where they don't belong and saying "start with the opposite")

Fetch Daddy's blue fright wig! I must be handsome when I unleash my rage.

Taiji Mistress

I study Yang 37 mvmt. form and I am about to start the Taji Jian. in a few weeks. Then on to the Yang Long form. Keep up the great work and let me know how you are progressing.

"The journey of a 1,000 miles starts with but a single step."

Tai Ji when used right is freaking scary. My Sifu has taken it for about 6-7 years now. . . . . when he does the moves on me to show me, they are EXTREMELY deceptive and destructive.

I actually think it might be better for self-defense (NOT ring fighting) than my Choy Lay Fut.

only push hands i think. they do dim mak as well but thats bullshit. there is no scientific evidence that it works.

To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill.