• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I saw this aricle http://www.cloudnet.com/~bemiller/taichi.html

It seems pretty promising. But how dealy is it?

Also I have seen tai chi for the first time on this link http://www.wushu-olympics.com/base/...iji/chen-256.rm

It looks OK.

To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in my experience with tai chi tought in the west is that it is 100% worthless for self defence and you would be better off just swinging than trying to use western tai chi in a real fight. tai chi is good for health however so if self defence is not your thing tai chi might not be that bed.

Fist visible Strike invisible

The guy in the article has little to no idea what he's talking about.

Your link didn't work, but being a wushu competition I doubt the taiji was any good.

Muaythaiboxer is wrong in that not all taiji taught in the west is worthless, some is excellent. But a lot is worthless.

Taiji can be an extremely effective fighting art, the problem is finding someone who can actually teach good taiji.

Also, if you go into taiji to try to become a great fighter, your goals will hurt your results.

Fetch Daddy's blue fright wig! I must be handsome when I unleash my rage.

I took Tai Chi with a Sifu in NY that also trained in my Kempo system for a bit. His class was awesome, and every movement we learned he showed us the practical application to it.

In all honesty I can't say for certain how useful it truly is in a fight situation assuming you are fighting a competant opponent, especially a grappler, or Thai Boxer. I believe it's theories are sound and useful, but not entirely complete for a serious deadly situation.

"Question oneself, before you question others"

Here we go again ...

If Tai Chi is taught as a FIGHTING ART (which btw, was what it was intended to be) it can be very dangerous or even deadly. A trained Tai Chi artist (not to mention a MASTER) would be able to adequately defend himself. There are too many factors that are involved when it comes to MA vs. MA (skill level, outside circumstances etc.) that make the discussion irrelevent.

"The journey of a 1,000 miles starts with but a single step."

I all depends on finding a competent teacher and devoting a lot of time to training.

imo,six years of training should start producing results and from what I have experienced so far I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end for real.lol

External MA's can produce fast results for self defence, whereas Internal MA's take much longer by their very nature.

I personally would rather face someone with EMA skills, having had first hand experience of Qi disruption, (embarrasingly I did it to myself and it took over three weeks to get back to normal!!!!) No way would I want to face a Taiji Master in combat!

Be careful of the teacher you choose as his students will be your greatest influence.

How would a tai chi practioner fair against someone doing a military art like Krav maga or Advanced Commando Combat System.

Check out this link it says Tradtional Martial Arts's are for sport:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_Martial_Arts

I am looking for something deadly not because I want to kill people but I just want the knowledge. You'll never know how far you have to take things when its a life or death situation. Its either you or them.

To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill.