• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Gi sizing (karate and judo)

Are judo gi and karate gi sized the same way?

I need a judo gi, (starting, hopefully in September) and I would like to know if they are sized the same way? Can you give me a link for a sizing chart, or are they exactly the same?

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

No, they aren't sized the same way. Sizing also differs between the karatedo-gi manufacturers, sometimes a lot (I personally am size 6 in one manufacturer's chart, size 8 in other). Occasionally (especially among the Japanese manufacturers) the sizing differes even from one do-gi model to another (i.e. "traditional cut" and "tournament cut" are often differently sized).

I recommend you to measure your karatedo-gi. The most important sizes are the width (armpit to armpit) of your jacket and the back length (without collar). Some manufacturers of judo-gi also have different sizes for slimmer or thicker bodies. Ask about these - this way you'll probably be able to have a perfect fit with perfect sleeve- and pantleg length.

Remember that the judo-gi is a "measurement sensitive" uniform. That's why you probably should wait until you begin training judo and ask the instructions for buying a do-gi from your instructor. You'll get a correctly sized uniform then.

I'd also recommend you to get a good quality uniform. While beginner do-gi often are usable, heavier and more sturdy do-gi are more pleasant to wear and last a lot longer.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

well I don't know if this helps ,but were I go ,in the aikido class,judo gi's are worn.So the sensei gets his students bigger thatn normal because he says it will shrink as time passes when u wash it.

https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

• 4 weeks later...

a kind of side question:My gi is size 6 and it fits well,but it's sleeves and legs are way too long.Is it because of the size or the type of uniform?I like the size,it's just that it's way too long.

https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

a kind of side question:My gi is size 6 and it fits well,but it's sleeves and legs are way too long.Is it because of the size or the type of uniform?I like the size,it's just that it's way too long.

Type of the uniform. Try tournament cut (shorter sleeves and pantlegs) next. You can also take your do-gi to a local seamstress and get it fixed to your prefered length.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

Type of the uniform. Try tournament cut (shorter sleeves and pantlegs) next. You can also take your do-gi to a local seamstress and get it fixed to your prefered length.

hmm good advice,thanks.I might just do the seamstress thing because it's still good for a while.