• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Neck stress from reverse punch?

Kinson

When I do a full reverse punch, the force of it is sending this jolting, forcible ripple back up the shoulder and across the chest, up to neck. It causes neck stress really quickly.

I can't be punching right, or you'd see Sensei's in neck casts all over...what the heck am I doing wrong here? :-?

The Hidy Ochiai Foundation: http://www.hidyochiai.org/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

without physically watching you do it, there is no way i can give a proper diagnoses on where your technique is going wrong...

1, talk to your doctor, you may have hurt your neck somewhere else and the reverse punch is aggravating your injury

2, talk to your sensei, he is the only person who is able to give you feedback on your technique.

If you have just read the above message and agree with it then you may worship me as the best thing since sliced bread.

Of course if you don't agree then hey, i'm a crazed lunatic and you should ignore my insane ramblings.

1, talk to your doctor, you may have hurt your neck somewhere else and the reverse punch is aggravating your injury

This would be my guess also. Even punching incorrectly shouldn't hurt your neck.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

well it sounds like your using your using shoulder and upper body to create power.

your fist, and arm are only the method of delivery, develope power through your hips.

-just a thought, i maybe wrong

"Cry in the dojo, laugh on the battle field."

You do utilize shoulder/neck muscles when you throw a punch but, like Shorinryu Sensei said, an incorrect punch shouldn't hurt a muscle...but it might aggrevate a damaged muscle!

An incorrect punch shouldnt hut a muscle.......

Unless your jolting your arm into a full-extension.

This can create IMMENSE stress at the shoulder and elbow joints, and even lead to muscle/tendon/ligament damage.

You need a Sensei to review your form.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

try to relax ur shoulders when ur on-guard and even when you punch only let ur triceps work..

your shoulders should be relaxed. Note that if you dont relax ur shoulders, neck and all muscles that are not invovled in a punch...

The same used to happen to me until i started doing punches slowly to observe which muscles actually drive the punch..

g'luck

I would suggest asking your sensei if you are pushing through and dropping your shoulder whilst performing the punch. I think you may just be over-extending the shoulder, and therefore putting stress on the muscles/tendon/ligaments.

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

I would suggest asking your sensei if you are pushing through and dropping your shoulder whilst performing the punch. I think you may just be over-extending the shoulder, and therefore putting stress on the muscles/tendon/ligaments.

I agree with that analysis. I would perhaps differ only slightly in that I think he is probably not "dropping" his shoulder so much that he is lifting and over-rotating as he extends it (much more common of a mistake and causes much more pain in the neck, especially in a reverse punch).

Wow, I feel like I'm diagnosing over the radio or something.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

Thanks for your input everyone, I think I'm going to lay low on the punching until class so I can ask my sensei...but feeling my way through it now it does seem that it might be coming from the way I'm using my shoulder.

Thanks again all :karate:

Edited by Kinson

The Hidy Ochiai Foundation: http://www.hidyochiai.org/