• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What do you do against a sweaty opponent ???

Well, you'll have to start by tightening your game up. No matter how sweaty a guy is, if you get a good enough grip on his arm, you can armbar him. Trick is, of course, doing that live. Maybe try a cross grab (use right hand to grab his right elbow), and whenever you do anything, odds are you should be squeezing your knees.

Also, say maybe you can't get him from the guard- he't just too slippery and defends too well. Work on position instead- the guard isn't that great, sweep him to mount, maybe. From there it'd be a lot harder to slip out of an armbar. If you can take his back and choke him, once you get that arm in there's no slipping out of it.

PS it's "slip" not "sleep," sleep is what you do when you get choked and don't tap in time.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do Gi-Less BJJ and say you are going to choke with your forearm on his throught grab is shoulder with the hand you are choking him with. And alot of moves in gi-less usually require both hands and one hand is usually grabbing your other hand.

The right to keep and bear Arms.

• 2 weeks later...
I tried over and over and over again and each time i manage to apply a lock , he just sleeps away from it in one second until I got exhausted .

So what do you guys do against a sweaty opponent ???

Learn to use the natural pockets of the body as our style calls them. the Only time we grapple is when we are sweaty and sometimes shirtless. Like when grapping the forearm, slide down to the wrist. they are bigger and you should be able to hold him unless he does a counter wristgrab.

If you are choking him and cant get it because he is sweaty I would have to see that to believe it. I do it all the time and have no trouble. Maybe you just need more practice I guess. As for figure fours, headlocks, and neck cranks it can all be down easily with training and you have to get a feel for the body yours and your oppenants.

To become the greatest warrior, one needs to train beyond the physical and into the spiritual becoming supernatural. It is then that the warrior will know that he is indeed not the greatest, but just awakened.

https://www.manabimasho.com

I had to grapple an opponent that was about 6' 7" and 295pnds and all he had was shorts and a T-shirt. The thing is I stand 6'1" and 167pnds. A T-shirt on a guy that weighs 295 pnds isn't really going to help with judo throws or Gi takedowns. It will rip off like toilet paper. The bigger the guy with less clothes the more sweaty he is going to get quicker. And the harder it is to hold on to him. What I suggest doing is go for locks that can't be slid out of. Triangle choke that holds his head in works well and gulliotine choke as well. Stay away from the Armbar because they will slide straight out of it even if it is locked in, not all the time but most the time they will get out. I was in Full Gi when I grappled him and he slid right out of the armbar to an ankle lock. I was angry at first because he didn't have a gi and I was a full disadvantage anyway you looked at it. but I decided that it is better to train in unfair circumstances so next time it is fair you have more experience in taking harder challenges......

grimlin

My recomendation is to get ahold of one of the books written by Steve Jimmerfield. He is a retired state trooper from AK that developed strategies for dealing w/ people in situations where dexterity of your hands can't work, specifically cold weather, but it carries over well to this situation. Grabs are not used in the traditional sense of using fingers to latch on. He also instructs at several seminars during the year. If you ever get a chance to attend one do it.

Getting a blackbelt just says you have learned the basics and are ready to actually study the form as an art.

I like Eddie Bravo's moves. Chris Brennan is good also. Marcello Garcia and few others.

Just workon playing tigher. From the guard going for arm locks squeezing the knee's and hips up help with the arm bar. Plust when putting the leg around the head keep less space as possible keep every thing tight. No-Gi is alot faster so working on cardio and applying your weight helps. Keep practing you wil figure stuff out. Just remember to play TIGHT by not allowying much space between you where your applying the sub.

I don't think it matters what art he studies if the guys too sweaty and they arent wearing much its not going to help. You have to figure out tactics that dont involve holding on to bare skin. Of course most grappling arts arent meant to be used on someone who's already glistening with sweat.

It matters. this is where hooking comes in - over and underhooks. It's easy to slip away from my hand, but if my whole arm is snaked around you... If you must grab with the hands, use a monkey grip (don't use your thumb) and grab muscles - like the back of the tricep.

I agree with elbows and knees post 100% Its hard to play no gi with out the under hooks/over hooks and head control. Thumbless grips are important also. Got to play tight and control your opponent. The jacket is used in Gi training to control but in no-gi to main tain good control. Gripping onthe head or using the Under hook/over hooks is key to control your opponent.

Controling the movement or limited the movement of your opponents body and limbs is key to set up the subs so the opponent does escape easily.

I'm kind of reiterating what Karate 25 and Knees & Elbows said.

The underhook game, with and without a gi, is very important. Also, if you're good with the halfguard, you can easily sweep a larger opponent to the bottom position. Once you're on top, stay there! Keep your positions tight. If you go for an arm bar, make sure you're hugging the arm, not holding it with your hands. Same goes for kneebar (be careful though).

Of course, all of this is easier said than done. Number one most important thing is to keep drilling the techniques until they become instinct. Remember though, only PERFECT practice make perfect.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."