• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What do you do against a sweaty opponent ???

i would try my hardest to get them in either a mounted arm lock, or a side choke or rear naked choke. a armbar or something of that nature would be hard to lock with them being all sweaty

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats a really tough situation there. I have also fought against a sweaty opponent and it is DAMN difficult.

I dont really know the answer... But i have won the matches against sweaty opponents though. It was simply because they were bigger and i just kept my self away from them as much as i could, and when they were exhausted i used a lock.

What hurts you but doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.

I tried it this week.

I dont know the names of the positions though....

I know I locked onto his arm, and in another I got to his neck, but it got to a leverage point and we began to roll the other against the floor :P

it looked kinda funny

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

I tried it this week.

I dont know the names of the positions though....

I know I locked onto his arm, and in another I got to his neck, but it got to a leverage point and we began to roll the other against the floor :P

it looked kinda funny

Haha :lol: i can imagine :D

What hurts you but doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.

my tip would be to either focus on the points where he is less sweaty, the points where he is wearing clothes, or a good neck or arm or leg grab since those are the easiest points to lock onto

Martial Arts Is A State Of Mind, Not A State Of Brutality

• 4 weeks later...
I was training with a friend today ,the weather was extremely hot , he is about 24 pounds heavier than me , after 1 hour of worm up/ bag fighting / standup fighting , I suggested that we wrestle as i thought since he is the heavier guy i would benefit from wrestling him and he agreed , every time the fight went to the ground and i tried to lock/chock/pin or submit him , he just sleeps out from the hold as we were both sweaty .. I tried over and over and over again and each time i manage to apply a lock , he just sleeps away from it in one second until I got exhausted .

So what do you guys do against a sweaty opponent ???

My school's like a freaken hot-box in the summer so we're all cover in sweat. If it goes to the ground it usually ends up in a ground in pound as the sweat makes us to slippery for any kind of lock. However a good choke should still work, I can work my fore arms in there pretty good no matter what.

You can become a great fighter without ever becoming a martial artist, but no sir, you can not become a great martial artist with out becoming a great fighter. To fight is most certainly not the aim of any true martial art, but they are fighting arts all the same. As martial artists, we must stand ready to fight, even if hoping that such conflict never comes.

-My response to a fellow instructor, in a friendly debate

My honest opinion is to find someone who can teach you the ground game properly and you will have a higher succes rate. I cross train alot and always work with better grapplers than me and better strikers than me. If you are lucky enough to have a BJJ school in your area as I am then you should take full advantage of everything offerd to you. Bettering yourself is what life is all about! :P

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward,

Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both,

For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, If I live I will kill you, If I die you are forgiven.

Such is the rule of HONOR!

• 4 weeks later...
I was training with a friend today ,the weather was extremely hot , he is about 24 pounds heavier than me , after 1 hour of worm up/ bag fighting / standup fighting , I suggested that we wrestle as i thought since he is the heavier guy i would benefit from wrestling him and he agreed , every time the fight went to the ground and i tried to lock/chock/pin or submit him , he just sleeps out from the hold as we were both sweaty .. I tried over and over and over again and each time i manage to apply a lock , he just sleeps away from it in one second until I got exhausted .

So what do you guys do against a sweaty opponent ???

Offer him a towel and a drink LOL, well against a sweaty opponent you want to get something that will tie up his whole body rather than just one arm etc, a variation of what you have learnt......... or get him in a neck crank (neck cranks are the work of the devil :kaioken: :evil: :kaioken: )

No matter how fashionable it is in Krypton, I will not wear my underwear on the outside of my Gi!!