Where is the power in Wing Chun?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as Tai Chi and Shaolin are concerned, there are similar principles involved in some levels and in other levels the principles and methods change. I cannot really answer you question. So in this concept it is difficult to answer your question.

However, as far as comparison with boxing is concerned, because of the energy concepts of Wing Chun and kung fu in general, the Wing Chun punches are more penetrative than that of Western Boxing and as far as I am concerned that means that they are more powerfull than that of boxing.

Use your time on an art that is worthwhile and not on a dozen irrelevant "ways".

Irrelevent.

The targets and types of hits that a boxer trains for don't require penetrative qualities so the typical wing chun method being more penetrative means next to nothing to a boxer and his game. I'd rather not get hit by either.

The biggest difference is the kind of base from which they ground themselves. One uses the groundto support themselves as they use their body/body mass. The other uses the ground as a reaction force to utilise body structures. The effect is different, the result is different, the usage is different. To me, this is an machete/scalpal type of comparison. Both are highly effective, both are deadly sharp but they're intrinsically different.

earth is the asylum of the universe where the inmates have taken over.

don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers.

Irrelevent.

That depends on where one is standing.

The targets and types of hits that a boxer trains for don't require penetrative qualities so the typical wing chun method being more penetrative means next to nothing to a boxer and his game.

It doesn't, that is until he gets hit by a Wing Chun punch.

I'd rather not get hit by either.

Agreed

The biggest difference is the kind of base from which they ground themselves. One uses the groundto support themselves as they use their body/body mass. The other uses the ground as a reaction force to utilise body structures. The effect is different, the result is different, the usage is different. To me, this is an machete/scalpal type of comparison. Both are highly effective, both are deadly sharp but they're intrinsically different.

And that makes the type of power that they use, different. I still consider a penetrative strike more powerful then a "not so" penetrative one.

Use your time on an art that is worthwhile and not on a dozen irrelevant "ways".

I don't understand why you talk about a penetrative punch and none penetrative punch. European boxing, wing chun, shaolin, Tai Chi...whatever, penetrates when punching. It's not like they only punch on the surface. The punch doesn't stop when it hit's the skin. It keeps going. It's not only WC that penetrates when punching.