• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Where is the power in Wing Chun?

http://wtmag.dk/filmarkiv.php?type=l

I have just seen these clips of Wing Tsun. Wing Tsun is almost the same as Wing Chun, so I will view it like that too.

The teacher does some fast movements when hitting the opponent, but where is the power in those hits? European Boxer against Wing Chun etc. How would the Boxer fall with these loose handed punches with no power what-so-ever? I really don't see how this can be effective against a competent fighter.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it looks like its more about putting your opponent off balance using blocks and strikes, then getting him on the floor when his footing has gone askew. does this point have any validity to it?

I think I just watched the clip you saw (the one with the guy doing the super slow striking bunkai on his parter?)

If thats the one, well thats not a good depiction of the art. He was doing the movements incredibly slow to show what he's doing and to make it look all flowery and pretty for the crowd.

Real Wing Chun fighting includes incredibly fast hand strikes to vital areas such as the throat (like the guy kept doing in the video in slow-mo) and receiving/intercepting your opponents strikes/energy, and dishing it right back to him. I've been dying to really train in it for years now but haven't been able to make the time (I took a free seminar a while back where I learned some techniques).

"Question oneself, before you question others"

It wasn't only the slowmo clip. And I saw some clip in another site, that didn't look powerful either. But I guess you are right.

Now someone studying Wing Chun. Tell me. Are the WC punches powerful? Can the power in WC's punches match the power in European Boxing etc?

Yes there is a lot of power in Wing Chun. You need to have good rootes, body structure and unity as well as the correct breathing without which you will never hit with your full potential. To the unlooker the Wing Chun strikes do not seem powerful, but if one is on the recieving end the story is very different.

Use your time on an art that is worthwhile and not on a dozen irrelevant "ways".