• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

One year???

Based on the fact that "She's like 13 and she's been doing TKD for a year in Korea" I have these observations:

She started at age 12, but did she have any previous martial arts expierence?

Many folks here would argur that someone that age would not be mature enough to understand the full applications of the techniques even though they might be able to preform them with some perfected skill.

At the dojang I attend we've had black belts from other dojangs join us and they were actually below our red belt level in skill, knowledge, and perfection of technique. You'll have to see how she measures up to folks who put in the time to earn their belts.

I believe that in Korea, anyone under 16 do not receive a black belt, they receive a poom belt which is half red and half black. It's a probational, or junior, black belt.

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ridiculous IMO. Should take 5 years absolute minimum with training at least twice a week.

I assume its a junior grade anyway like the previous poster suggested.

Yes, granmasterchen, I enjoyed your post. I agree that black belt is the beginning, but one year isn't long enough to begin.

i agree, i have just reached shodan level and understand now how it is the beggining, but ive been training for eight years now. theres no way i could see myself reaching this undstanding in a year especially if i was 13 even if i was training every day of the week.

"Cry in the dojo, laugh on the battle field."

It all depends you can take some one who is an advanced rank or a very good black belt and has his basics down and throw them in antoher art. Taekwondo or another karate art. I found karate and taekwondo has simular excution of movents in forms or movements shared between styles some little diffrences but some one with good basics from that style and is really good. I can see go to another simular art and obtain a black betl becase there body is already conditioned for those movements. Also some who has a good grasp of the movesment and concepts can acheive quicker rank compared to begineer starting out fresh.

JMO

Agreed.

But it seems a bit far fetched that this person would have already had BB experience in a previous art.

I mean, there only 13 right!

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

I don't think she's had any other experience. She had the option on taking PE or doing TKD so she picked TKD. I'm pretty sure she's never done any other MA before.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

I ment more in general for other martial artist who got black belts and are good martial artist then take up a diffrent stlye.

A year black belt for a 13 year old. Well hopefully she is really good, but sounds a bit mcdojoish to me.

I agree. 5 years is ideal, 3 is the bare minimum.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

1000 days is the start of MA training.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."