• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

drawbacks of TKD

Merkury, I dont think that can be considered a valid drawback in terms of TKD as a generality.

I think that is more directed at the training you personally received.

I feel quite adequate with my hands, and my feet, and the 2 ranges that TKD deals with (close range with fists, farther range with feet).

There are, of course, drawbacks to everything you will do in your life. You just have to decided which drawbacks you are willing to accept and which you cant do with out.

I like TKD for many reasons...the physical fitness it provides, the power it generates, and the range it teaches.

If you want trapping go with KungFu or JKD, if you want grappling go with BJJ or Judo, if you want Joint-Locks go with Hapkido, if you want traditional arts focused on breathing and meditation go with Tai-Chi or Softer style Kung Fu.

Drawbacks are only drawbacks if you let it affect you, let the effects of what is there lead you into your next choice.

sk0t

"I shall not be judged by what style I know, but how I apply that style againsts yours..."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there are no drawbacks to martial arts. if there were outlined drawbacks to a style, no one would do it.

Hrm, I'm going to have to disagree. Individuals have a heightened chance of physical injury while practicing martial arts, which is a very blatant drawback. I recall my first class of TKD in which I had to sign a disclaimer warning me of bruises, joint problems, light headedness, nausea, and the slight possibility of death. You might call that an inherent drawback of all martial arts... :wink:

i think instead of talking to the instructor, you should talk to the students. i think that's a huge mistake that people make. the instructor might be cool, but who are you going to form a bigger friendship with?

and those are the people you're going to be working with the most.

if they're not enjoying themselves, or if they don't seem to be excited to come to class to learn, move on to a different school. it's all about the atmosphere and the vibe you get from the students.

i once met an instructor in california, who was extremely skilled, but his students all matched his skill by a level of rudeness i've never seen in a martial arts school. very unwelcoming to new students, they were all snobs, and that alone made me want to train somewhere else.

so yah...

not like you're planning on going outside and doing urban warfare with tkd. go where you have the most fun. that's what'll keep you coming back. right?