jnpnshr411

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tanren and stoneheart, you are both somewhat correct.

Shoshin Nagamine did develop Fukyu Ichi in 1940, He also developed Fukyu Ni or Gekisai Ichi with Chojun Miyagi.

Some of us in Goju-ryu also consider Gekisai Ichi and Ni to be our Fukyu gata or basic formal exercises.

Carl

"basic formal exercises"

you mean kata's?

Yes. Although some might differ. I was told that kata means "formal exercise." Junbi undo = preliminary exercises, hojo undo = supplemintary exercises, and kata = formal exercises. Thus, Fukyu = basic, kata = formal exercise.

Carl

Asfar as i've researched, Chojun Myigai developed the two kata's after his training in China and from other places and of styles. it was developed as a means of exersice for younger boys. and for an attraction to the style of Goju for more people to come and train.

At my dojo the adult classes have Geki Sai Dai Ichi as their first kata, and Ni is followed. in the childerns classes i belive they learn a differnt one first, i cant remember what it's called. but you can start learning your first kata as a white belt.

KBear

"lick your wounds, anxious for the next ones"

• 3 weeks later...

Could be, but they come later in our style as we do have bassai and kankusho in our style. Right now I am working on rohai kata, wansu kata and ippon kumite kata for my blue belt and blue/black stripe belt.

How many nuns could a nunchuk chuck if a nunchuk could chuck nuns?