• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hapkido/Taekwondo testing

ugh, this whole talk about paying fees to take a belt test gives me the willies. Of the schools i've been in that had belt rankings, i don't recall one that 'charged' for testing.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I guess the testing fees would bother me too if I didn't know where the money went. Our instructors dont get paid so the monthly fees go for rent on the building, utilities etc. Testing fees go to new equipment. Given how many students we have, fees, rent and other charges, I cant see how anyone at our school is even close to making a profit. :-?

We just got in some new kicking shields on friday, cant wait to break them in!

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare

Luckily for me, my students understand that I work hard AND get paid. Testing day is the hardest, most stressful day for me. It's also during a time that I would normally be off and spending time with my family. I don't think that anyone should be concerned that I actually get paid for working extra. Since my passion is also my job, I love my work. My kids also love to eat, and my mortgage company insists on receiving payments.

Like anyone else, you should not pay your instructor more than his services are worth. On the other hand, if he provides an excellent service, you should not mind paying him for it. Just because a professional loves what he does, the value of his services are not diminished.

--

Luckily for me, my students understand that I work hard AND get paid. Testing day is the hardest, most stressful day for me. It's also during a time that I would normally be off and spending time with my family. I don't think that anyone should be concerned that I actually get paid for working extra. Since my passion is also my job, I love my work. My kids also love to eat, and my mortgage company insists on receiving payments.

Like anyone else, you should not pay your instructor more than his services are worth. On the other hand, if he provides an excellent service, you should not mind paying him for it. Just because a professional loves what he does, the value of his services are not diminished.

--

agreed. its not like i dont want to pay any certain amount, its just as if they dont talk about fees and stuff just like a salesman wouldnt so as not to put you off a purchase. you know, kindda like wait for him to really want it and then, BANG heres the price! if this is a business, all this should be clear and upfront.

<-----------the art of people folding!

--

Excellent post Bill. I'm sure that many people on here would have no problem paying for music, tennis, whatever lessons - or to take exams in them either. Why should MA be any different?

If your instructor is great then his services should be rewarded, especially if he is a full-time instructor. Not even dan grades can live on good-will alone... :)

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Thanks, aefibird.

In my area, tennis lessons & music lessons cost significantly more than MA training. Forget about gymnastics, dance, or cheer lessons...they are all outrageous.

Should MA training be the cheapest out of those? I'm sure those cheerleading lessons will really pay off someday!

--