• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

does the number of members matter?

Found a great place which I'm closest to joining. There are only 5 or so adults and a whole bunch of kids 15 and under. A few of the adults are local police officers, and the rest are red belts and green belts (TKD). The instructor said, if the class were to not have anyone my size that particular day, he or the other instructor would be my partner. To be honest I really like this place, location, price, his credentials, even the instructors personality..he seems like a really really nice guy, with only good intentions. Definately not trying to pressure me into anything, there are no contracts unless preferred (cheaper if you sign up for 6months/year), and told me I could go down there all week if I wanted to test it out, he said he's very flexible.

But in the short run/long run..will the students there pose a problem, perhaps slow down the learning process for me if I have to always have the instructor as a partner? I would think that would be the best case sinario, but someone on this forum said that could be a problem in my other post.

Thanks!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its really a personal oppinion, but I know that I would prefer to have an instructor as my partner over another student, also less people would be better for me too. That is just my oppinion

Tang Soo!

When I was starting out in our dojo morning training took place in a rehearsal room in the basement of our school which also housed some dorms. Being as that I lived above the dojo it was easy for me to get there three times a week and was often the only one there. This was a great oppurtunity since it was essentially private lessons with the sensei for a few months and helped me to improve greatly in a relatively short time.

O Sensei said that everyone has a defined sphere of strength and if you can get them outside that sphere then their strength will disappear. I say, EXPAND YOUR SPHERE!

thank you for your opinions, they are encouraging. which I feel is good for me, because I like this place! I would think, at least in my own opinion that as far as technique, an instructor watching your every move in the beginning will keep you out of any bad habits early in the process of learning the art.

thanks again :)

You serious!? Take it, take it! When I first started out in my dojo we only had 20 students, and those were the best days because when you have that few students, you get all the personal attention in the world.

And when it comes to the instructor being your partner, I'd take the instructor over another student any day. If anything that will expediate your learning and understanding rather than slow you down.

Like I said, if you haven't done it already, go for it and take it now before that school really gets off it's feet and you end up training alongside 100 other students ;)

"Question oneself, before you question others"

I am usually with 20 other people in class, there has only been once that I have been the only person in my class, and that is because both me and another master instructer (the normal master instructer and instructers were all at a tournament) both came at the wrong time and neither of us realized it until after the lesson. That was my favorite lesson that I have ever had.

Tang Soo!

when you have that few students, you get all the personal attention in the world.

Exactly , best training session for me is the advanced students session which is usually limited to 10-->15 students .

Large number of students is good for kumite training though

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

For me, usually small number of students for training, large number of students for sparring.

Training, you want more individual attention to perfect technique.

Sparring, you're going to want as many training partners as possible.

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."