• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

learning curve, or just me??

I think Rathe and MasterH are both a little right in this one. It's obviously best to practice something correctly, and practicing it wrong can lead to bad habits. But, practicing it wrong and continuously improving it (most likely during instrcuction time) will make you better.

For example, a thai kick. If one practices fully extending their leg upon impact, rather than kicking with a bend in the knee, one might develop a bad habit of doing that. However, if one starts that way and fixes it as he or she goes, in the end, the practice will have helped them kick better and they'll be better kickers than had they not practiced it at all on their own time.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Rathe and MasterH are both a little right in this one. It's obviously best to practice something correctly, and practicing it wrong can lead to bad habits. But, practicing it wrong and continuously improving it (most likely during instrcuction time) will make you better.

For example, a thai kick. If one practices fully extending their leg upon impact, rather than kicking with a bend in the knee, one might develop a bad habit of doing that. However, if one starts that way and fixes it as he or she goes, in the end, the practice will have helped them kick better and they'll be better kickers than had they not practiced it at all on their own time.

I can live with that. :P

• 3 weeks later...

the best thing to do is take a break - maybe you've been pushing yourself too much. take a day or two off with no practice at all, then head back to training with a cleared mind.

At 2nd Dan I still have those days. I've seen a 6th Dan doing a demonstration totally blank on a green belt form, even with prompting :-? . Everyone has one of those days despite rank, age, skill level etc. you learn to work through it and realize that being human you won't achieve perfection all the time.

Getting a blackbelt just says you have learned the basics and are ready to actually study the form as an art.

so apart from wanting to get this failiure of a day off my chest and subjecting you fine people to my ramblings, is this sort of day normal, once in a while? or am i just not very good!?

I just did that in a demo last night, so I know how you feel... I was in front of approximately 50-75 people and I think I maybe did one kata mistake free. Thank God I wasn't called up to break.. I probably would have broken something.

If he practices 3 times, I must practice 6 times -- Osensei Nagamine

thanks guys, actually ive had a few classes and i seem to have a slightly better grasp on how to do things - the types of movement are becoming more natural, which is good!

but i have also noticed that even some of the senior members of the class (the ones wearing the hakamas) get corrected quite a lot by the sensei too, despite them having a lot of experience in the art. it was actually really encouraging to see that EVERYONE needs correcting, it shows how intricate things can be and that i am not alone in being a bit mal coordinated (at times!)