• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

learning curve, or just me??

Believe me it's normal - especially if your a begginer in Aikido.

I myself started about 6 months ago and I sometimes still have trouble doing techniques that I have done many times before.

stay focused and get plenty of sleep that's my advice :) .

Great advice.

When I was first learning iriminage I had a ton of trouble getting the proper technique down (the uke's head would invariably end up on my wrong shoulder or something). When you feel ike you're not getting it, try and slow yourself down and just refocus your thoughts. It's always helped me...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with everyone else here. It happens. It's totally normal. Even master instructors have bad days. If I said I didn't, I'd be a total liar. Just keep plugging away at it. Don't let it dampen your training spirit ;)

Laurie F

a question... do you reckon finding a partner to practice with in my free time would be beneficial? why i say this is he may not be as advanced as some of the other students, but is still ahead of me, but there is a small possibility of doing a move slighly wrong. would this be a huge problem, or could it be easily corrected?

Practice is never a bad thing. Even if you practice something wrong a hundred times, once you learn to do that same thing correctly you'll know a hundred different ways to do it wrong. Which means you'll have a better understanding on why its done the way it is. Discipline and motivation are everything, even if your doing it wrong, you are doing it and want to do it. Which is absolutely perfect. So go for it.

a question... do you reckon finding a partner to practice with in my free time would be beneficial? why i say this is he may not be as advanced as some of the other students, but is still ahead of me, but there is a small possibility of doing a move slighly wrong. would this be a huge problem, or could it be easily corrected?

Only perfect practice makes perfect, so make sure you have it down before you start practicing on your own. Once you get a bad habbit, no mater what MA you're practicing, it's hard to unlearn. I'm glad to hear you're thinking this out, it shows maturity for a bigginer. Good for you!

Edited by MasterH

I greatly disagree MasterH. But that's why there are different instructors in the world. I would rather one of my students practice and perhaps do it alittle wrong and have me take 5 minutes to correct his mistakes. That shows dedication. With that kind of dedication I can make any student succeed.

Anyway last I'm saying about that. Not trying to start a discussion on that topic. Kudos to you Nick_Sam. Good luck.

I greatly disagree MasterH. But that's why there are different instructors in the world. I would rather one of my students practice and perhaps do it alittle wrong and have me take 5 minutes to correct his mistakes. That shows dedication. With that kind of dedication I can make any student succeed.

Anyway last I'm saying about that. Not trying to start a discussion on that topic. Kudos to you Nick_Sam. Good luck.

What Rathe and I do agree on is you are showing dedication. Keep it up.

Rathe and I can spar later on this subject. Have a good day, sir.

and a good day to you too! i like to think if im gonna do something i may as well do it properly, else not bother at all. i guess if i were to find a middle point between your and Rathe's advice, i should probably wait a bit longer, at least until i have gotten a slightly tighter grip on the principles of the subject, so then i would have a better judgement on what is right and wrong..

thanks for the encouragement!

and a good day to you too! i like to think if im gonna do something i may as well do it properly, else not bother at all. i guess if i were to find a middle point between your and Rathe's advice, i should probably wait a bit longer, at least until i have gotten a slightly tighter grip on the principles of the subject, so then i would have a better judgement on what is right and wrong..

thanks for the encouragement!

OK, how 'bout this. Ask your instructor his advice. That should have been my first post. My bad! :dodgy: Rathe, is that a Stargate thing?