• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How do you become a certified Sa Bom Nim in tang soo do?

thats like a minimum of 10 years if you are in an easy class where you get promoted in GUPs every 2 months and 4 months later on isn't it? (considering 6 months to get from cho dan bo to black belt and 4 months for the last 4 belts before cho dan bo)

I'm not sure what the exact timeline would be in your case, but in my experience it takes around 4 to 5 years to reach cho-dan. Then 2 years to ee-dan, 3 years to sam dan, 4 years to sa dan, 5 years to o-dan, etc...

I earned my 4th dan nine years after I earned cho-dan, and that was meeting the minimum time-in-grade requirements of my style.

So basically, in the TSD organizations that I've belonged to, it would generally take a minimum of 13 years to go from 10th gup to 4th dan.

If those figures sound discouraging to you, consider this, it's been over 4 1/2 years since I last tested, and I still manage to learn something new everytime I'm in class with my instructor. Think of the goals in a short-term since, don't dwell on the end result.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • 4 months later...

Not every federation requires there to be a separate Sah Bum and 4th Dan test... Mine doesn't... In fact I'd say most TSD federations DON'T break it out that way...

Usually the minimum time to earn a 4th Dan is about 13.5 years of uninterupted training. Most people take longer (education, illness, family obligations, etc.).

Master Jason Powlette

5th Dan, Tang Soo Do

--Tang Soo!!!