• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How do you become a certified Sa Bom Nim in tang soo do?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

correct me if im wrong but i was under the assumption TangSoodo was a Chinese martial art. You may get a little more feedback in that forum...sorry i cant help.

<-----------the art of people folding!

Yes, Tang Soo Do is a korean art, and while it does have aspects of chinese and okinawon styles, it is very much a korean art.

As to the original question, we'll that depends on what you are looking for. No one is going to stop you from claiming to be certified Sa Bom in Tang Soo Do. Not that I'm saying that is what you should do, but people do strange things.

Anyway, basic criteria for Sa Bom certification is usually a minimum rank of 4th dan. Other than that, it is solely dependent on what TSD organization you belong to. There are normally many teaching and non-physical aspects of the testing process, after all you can't really be a qualified Sa Bom if you can't teach worth a lick, and don't know much about TSD other than the physical techniques.

BTW, I happen to be a certified Sa Bom in Tang Soo Do. I a member of the Tang Soo Do Mi Guk Kwan Association. I've been practicing TSD since 1981.

TSDMGK_K40 is right. I'm no where near that rank (or ever was in TSD), but I remember my TSD instructor going through that. He said (if I'm remembering correctly) that you have to be a 4th dan. The Sa Bom certification is a totally seperate test from your 4th dan. You go through the test for 4th dan, (if you pass) you wait a year, then take the Sa Bom certification test. I don't know what the requirements are though.

Laurie F

TangSooDo is definately a korean art. Its name was later changed to tae kwan do by the koreans because tangsoodo sounded too chinese. The chinese even had a Tang dynasty.

Tang Soo!

TSDMGK_K40 is right. I'm no where near that rank (or ever was in TSD), but I remember my TSD instructor going through that. He said (if I'm remembering correctly) that you have to be a 4th dan. The Sa Bom certification is a totally seperate test from your 4th dan. You go through the test for 4th dan, (if you pass) you wait a year, then take the Sa Bom certification test. I don't know what the requirements are though.

In the two TSD organizations I've belonged to ( US Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan Federation, 1981-1995, Tang Soo Do Mi Guk Kwan Association, 1995-present ) you are allowed to test for Sa Bom at the same time as you test for Sa Dan, but it is still a separate test, you can fail it independently of your 4th dan test.

Wow! That's cool. Maybe my old association did it the same way, but my old instructor just decided to wait. I can't really remember. I do know that he was already a 4th dan when he went for his Sa Bom test. And he was/is an excellent teacher. And he worked his tail off for it. He would stay after teaching all day to work on stuff (along with the rest of us dojang dwellers LOL). That I do remember.

Edited by karatekid1975

Laurie F

thats like a minimum of 10 years if you are in an easy class where you get promoted in GUPs every 2 months and 4 months later on isn't it? (considering 6 months to get from cho dan bo to black belt and 4 months for the last 4 belts before cho dan bo)

Tang Soo!