• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shotokan a weak style?

SenseiMike

...as for it being linear my sensei is always saying get off the rails when we kumite,

Generally when someone says that a style is linear this isn't what they are referring to. Linear is in reference to linear vs circular movement. Styles that focus on principles like "always go straight from point A to point B" have a tendency to be linear. Linear styles practice getting off line but they do so by moving directly off line. Rather then circling out of the way or performing a movement that circles and redirects the attack. Aikido is more of a circular focused art. As is Okinawan Goju-ryu.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Generally when someone says that a style is linear this isn't what they are referring to. Linear is in reference to linear vs circular movement. Styles that focus on principles like "always go straight from point A to point B" have a tendency to be linear. Linear styles practice getting off line but they do so by moving directly off line. Rather then circling out of the way or performing a movement that circles and redirects the attack. Aikido is more of a circular focused art. As is Okinawan Goju-ryu.

OK thanks for clearing that up , So how does the linear movement make shotokan weak?

regards maki

We are necessarily imperfect and therefore always in a state of growth,

We can always learn more and therefore perform better.

It doesn't. But linear motion has it's strengths and weaknesses just as purely circular motion does. Personally I think any well rounded style should have both so that you can perform as best fits the situation. What I've seen of Shotokan seems to be largely lacking circular techniques and applications. That is not to say that there are no circles in Shotokan. My personal opinion is that there are too few. But of course people have said that about my style so I probably shouldn't say anything. I think what really matters though is that Shotokan does what it does very effectively. Some might say that it lacks other things (such as softer applications, some grappling applications, and other subtleties) that styles with a greater emphasis on circular motion might offer. Of course what style can really say it has it all? I'd be more concerned with whether or not it has what it needs. That's a decision best made by an individual practicing it.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

Good point about being well rounded in ones movement Sauzin.

Nice post.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."