• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm new to this board..Please help me out

bigfish423

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Anything with the 'intent to deceive' the consumer should be frowned upon. Now, if they say something like, "we have our own little organization, to keep our school heritage alive" then i would respect that, but what i bumped into was a guy blatantly posing the organization, which honored him with an 8th degree black belt, as an international organization.

The truth was, he created the organization, gave himself a rank of 8th degree through that organization, and 'claimed' to have two other schools (allegedly his schools) outside the U.S.. One in Colombia and another i believe in Nicaragua. I had a friend in Colombia who went to the address listed for that school... doesn't exist. Anyway, he posed the organization as international by claiming such.

So, basically, Caveat Emptor... "Buyer Beware."

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Didn't make a difference. Even after my sister asked me to look into it, even after i presented that information, my sister enrolled her son in that guy's class, and five months later had to weasel out of the contract that had her bootstrapped to the school, with extra costs left and right.

They get away with it, because consumers don't care.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Didn't make a difference. Even after my sister asked me to look into it, even after i presented that information, my sister enrolled her son in that guy's class, and five months later had to weasel out of the contract that had her bootstrapped to the school, with extra costs left and right.

They get away with it, because consumers don't care.

exactly,that's how it was in my previous school (a McDojo),they didn't even have an organization that they were part of,but they were bringing in customers like crazy
https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

ok so I checked out a few places, I like this one in particular the most. It's TKD and the people are nice there. I have my first private class with one of the instructors on wednesday. Then I can sit in a beginner class on thursday or friday.

It's 120 dollars a month, so about 30 dollars a week. He said in the beginning I can only go twice a week. This would work out to about 15 dollars a class. Which seems alot to me. He said its only twice a week in the beginning because at the beginners level there are injurys or people get burnt out from going too often. He said as time goes on you can come more.

Does this sound right? Is that alot even in the beginning? Let me know..thanks!

ok so I checked out a few places, I like this one in particular the most. It's TKD and the people are nice there. I have my first private class with one of the instructors on wednesday. Then I can sit in a beginner class on thursday or friday.

It's 120 dollars a month, so about 30 dollars a week. He said in the beginning I can only go twice a week. This would work out to about 15 dollars a class. Which seems alot to me. He said its only twice a week in the beginning because at the beginners level there are injurys or people get burnt out from going too often. He said as time goes on you can come more.

Does this sound right? Is that alot even in the beginning? Let me know..thanks!

ok I'm not saying for sure this is a McDojo ,but that was exactly how my old school was(as u can see in my lists of styles).It's very expensive to begin with and about the injuries,if you school is open every day u don't have to go everyday if u don't want to.So if I were you I would check on their credentials and organizations that are real(if u really want to go here),but there are soooo many more schools that are waaayy cheaper.So good luck
https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

First off, thanks for everyone who has replied..it has been a big help.

As for it possibly being a McDojo..I'm not sure. I don't think I know enough to really judge it, I just know the basics I guess. Whether it is or not, there is another place a bit cheaper than that one, which I'm checking out tonight. It's 60 dollars a month, and you can go as much as you want. Maybe you can help me on this other ones credentials.

The head instructor has

-3rd Degree Black Belt ITA

-2nd Degree Black Belt ITF

-2nd Degree Black Belt WTF

-1st Degree Black Belt in Traditional Hapkido

Seems legit, its nearly half as expensive, same distance from my house as the other one, and you can go to as many classes that you wish.

Should I go for this other one? Again I'm checking it out tonight.

well go to websites to see if he really is part of theses organizations.This dojang sounds way better than the other one,because $60 a month is a pretty good price if u ask me,especially if you can go everyday.Also check to see if they have long term contracts,if they don't that shows better signs,but if they make u sign something like a 2-3 year contract I would be reluctant to sign up.The organizations that he is part of are real well the two that I recognize (ITF,WTF).Anyways good luck