• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Newcomers To Martial Arts

What Do You Prefer To Watch?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. What Do You Prefer To Watch?

• An Actual Fight
    • A training Program

If you are new to fighting a MA then what levels do you start with as I want to know if I am at the right pace as I dont feel I'm gettin any benifit out of it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Out of what?

Real fights can teach you what 'not' to do, but they rarely give you insight in what 'to do.' Essentially, fights are about who makes the bigger mistakes. And, mistakes are plenty.

Training videos (you said watch, so i'm assuming here) vary depending on who produced it, what is being presented, and how they are presenting it.

As to what you can obtain from a training video... that really depends on a lot of factors. If you are completely new to the arts, you will get just about nothing out of videos. You need to 'experience' the arts before you can understand what it is you are 'seeing.' Otherwise, it all just looks like ballet poses and your performance will be no better than dance steps.

Videos are great utilities for reviewing information, not for 'learning' things outright. Working out with a practiced partner, under the guidance of an attentive and skilled instructor, puts to shame the cute little pics on your television screen.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

White Warlock

I think another factor that can over rule mistakes percentage in a fight is knowledge...if someone does perfect in their martial art but has only reached the rank of 6th kyu, then someone who takes another martial art and is a 2nd dan then even if he messes up he can still throw a technique at someone and pull it off... :-?

But for the poll id would vote training program now that i read the post, but instead i voted a real fight because i got ahead of myself lol

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn