• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kata Jiin?

ShotokanKid

Have you heard of this kata? It starts off the same way as Jion, but goes to manji uke. I read that Shorin Ryu has this kata, with four mrve techniques than Shotokan (at the end of the kata). Does anyone know Jiin? I've never even heard of this kata before last night. :-?

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have tested with this kata. The fun part of this kata is doing it in class when sensei goes wandering off to tell a story while you are stuck in shiko dachi during the final sequence.

I have tested with this kata. The fun part of this kata is doing it in class when sensei goes wandering off to tell a story while you are stuck in shiko dachi during the final sequence.

I wonder why some dojos know it and others dont.........

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

So is it known who does the katas closest to how funakoshi taught them? And does anyone know how much they differed from what he originally learnt?

earth is the asylum of the universe where the inmates have taken over.

don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers.

I haven't seen this Jim kata. However, I have seen a great deal of many other Funakoshi kata, whether performed by students today or pictures from "back in the day" in various books (including his own).

I must say they differ pretty substantially in essence from the Okinawan kata. You can tell they are the same kata, but they are executed rather differently and with different form, structure, emphasis, etc.

Edit: I have now realized I wrote "Jim"...chalk that up to the typo gnomes.

Edited by Shorin Ryuu

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/