• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I am a Kung Fu student, planning to enter a Karate competiti

ClA

http://www.goldcupcircuit.com/

I live in San Francisco, I am a ShaoLin style student.

I visited a few Karate competitions (point based) and found it very exciting. I know it's open karate and they welcome all styles. I see TKD students joining these events.

My question is, would my status as a Kung Fu Style student affect anything?? I don't have a belt...........maybe I can buy a belt color that reflect my experience level??

TKD and Karate uniforms looks the same..........but not Kung Fu.........we just wear T-shirts when we train..........do i have to buy a Karate uniform??

I have read all the rules http://www.goldcupcircuit.com/rules.shtml and gained more understanding of these events.

My goal is to be part of the fun. There is no need to compare styles because i don't see better "styles", only better "fighters".

Another question is, Kung Fu style has a push kick (like MT kick boxing) that goes after the other person kicking leg. I that allowed in these events?? Because it makes a world of difference in how we fight.

(see picture)

http://www.ukwingchun.com/assets/photos/nathan_jaywant.jpg

Thank you very much for your input.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Strange.

You show an image of a kick being done by two kids practicing wing chun. First of all, I've yet to see a Shaolin student do a kick like that. Secondly, it works nothing like the how Muay Thai people kick.

If you've never done point sparring before, you are either going to get disqualified very quickly or beaten very quickly. Best thing to do is to go and download some point sparring videos and read the rules again.

earth is the asylum of the universe where the inmates have taken over.

don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers.

I practice both ShaoLin and MT kick boxing, and has experience with Wing Chun. That picture is just an example, the only one i can find in googles. If you have not seen a ShaoLin student kick an opponent's leg, maybe you have not seen enough? Whatever Wing Chu does actually came from ShaoLin, only modified.

I don't mind losing or getting beaten. The fear of losing will only limit me. I will learn a lot through the process anyways, win or lose.

Your missing the point.

When i say "kick like that" I am talking about the whole kick, not just what the foot is doing. The image you chose, while depicting a kick to a leg, isn't typical of how shaolin kicks to the leg, the most obvious point being the stance employed, as well as the underlying fact that they use different body structures. Wing chun is nothing like shaolin. To say it is "only modified" is a gross error.

I'm not saying anything about you getting beaten. I am saying that the environment is a strange one with rather limiting rules that don't equate to normal sparring in chinese styles.

earth is the asylum of the universe where the inmates have taken over.

don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers.

[quote name="ClA" If you have not seen a ShaoLin student kick an opponent's leg' date=' maybe you have not seen enough?

[/quote]

In most matches, you cannot kick to the legs. You can sweep at the ankle, but no kicking in the knee

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

In most comp circuts which ive seen, and which are NOT Kyokushin, there is NO leg-kicks, or head punches, unless you enter BB divisions.

Your best bet for these types of matches is prob' to try and score through mid section kicks and punches, IMO, as if your not used to high kicking in a tournie situation, its really easy for a more experienced person to take control of balance.

Osu.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

In the tournaments I have been in its no kicking below the belt. So no you probably wont be able to use that kick, Unless its a knockdown tournament.

regards maki

We are necessarily imperfect and therefore always in a state of growth,

We can always learn more and therefore perform better.

Your missing the point.

When i say "kick like that" I am talking about the whole kick, not just what the foot is doing. The image you chose, while depicting a kick to a leg, isn't typical of how shaolin kicks to the leg, the most obvious point being the stance employed, as well as the underlying fact that they use different body structures. Wing chun is nothing like shaolin. To say it is "only modified" is a gross error.

I'm not saying anything about you getting beaten. I am saying that the environment is a strange one with rather limiting rules that don't equate to normal sparring in chinese styles.

Come on, give it up Mr. Know-it-all, it was a random picture from googles. Geee.

Edited by ClA