• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sports TKD vs Traditional TKD

I would give credits to traditional TKD since it's more realistic and street oriented ,WTF TKD is all about kicking and no hands techniques at all , contains a lot of ineffective flashy kicks and sports oriented ,however sparring under WTF rules is more exciting .

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would give credit to traditional tae kwan do, or in other words Tang Soo Do

I train and instruct in a traditional Tae Kwon Do. We do not train for Olympic style fighting.

We have a strong emphasis on kicking but also develop upper body techniques.

Tang So Do may share roots with traditional Tae Kwon Do but in my experience they are distinctly different.

Again, it varies greatly depending on where you study. Hard to lump all TKD into one side or the other reguardless of assosiation. Better to judge by individual schools.

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare

• 2 weeks later...
I would give credit to traditional tae kwan do, or in other words Tang Soo Do

I train and instruct in a traditional Tae Kwon Do. We do not train for Olympic style fighting.

We have a strong emphasis on kicking but also develop upper body techniques.

Tang So Do may share roots with traditional Tae Kwon Do but in my experience they are distinctly different.

Would have to agree entirely. TKD and TSD are distinctly different. On the main topic though, sport TKD is fun to compete in, but so can traditional, however tournaments are few and far between for them (at least in my area of the country). Don't forget that there is a military based TKD out there as well. In the end though, if the schools instruction is not any good what's the point?

Getting a blackbelt just says you have learned the basics and are ready to actually study the form as an art.

Bu the uper body tecnique are not the same used to perform the poomses?

I mean, i learn WTF TKD but i use those, like makees or shees...

The easiest way to block a dollyo is using an L way of eugul makee, for a duo-bandal (side-side continuos kick) use hetcho arae makee.

In the street the most powerfull tool is a bakat monton makee to block a hook and using the momentum to atack the nose, with fast rotation kick as!

Well, in sparing, the COI never told us anything for using traditional moves in competition TKD

By the way, am green belt, so, as am in the middle of the way, this post made me a confused padawan

Live your day as it is the last, think like gonna live forever.