• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sparring Help

hey guys i recently have sparred (free) with two other black belts and i noticed that i can't really reach them with my punches cuz my arms are quite short in length lol but im an excellent blocker as for they really dont get that many hits on me. Any tatics u guys can tell me like tips ? :brow:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Work on speed. Try putting weights on your legs and ankles and hands. Train by yourself like this as much as possible. It will make you really fast.

If your punches don't reach, you have legs, too.

Good luck to you

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

let them strike as soon as you block strike with your legs. Use your legs to cover distance then strike with punches when you are closer

im G A Y and i love you i W A N K over you EVERY DAY!!!

Let me add to what jnpnshr411 said about "strike with punches when you are closer". Don't go stright in, use an angle attack. Fake a direct foward attach, then slide 45 degrees in or out and then attack.

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

also if you ask your instructor hell probably have some tricks and some advice you can follow, i know my instructor helped me once try it...its one of the many many reasons he/she is there...

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

get inside there gaurd if its full contact as you said you have a short reach and bash away with hooks and uppercuts. if its a sport style sparring i would sugest doing a little reading i recomend ( secrits of championship karate, tao of jeet kune do, the art of war, and a book of five rings) books wont make you a great fighter but they can help and give you a few neat tricks.

AMITABHA

Fist visible Strike invisible

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps you might try hiji uchi (elbow strike) to try to get inside so they won't be able to punch you as much. I'm not sure how Shotokan does it but my style teaches to step forward with your front foot and use your front hand to sweep your opponents arms up and out of the way and then you step forward with your back foot, pivot, and strike their head or body with your reverse (back) elbow. Then stay close and inside and use knee kicks, short punches and elbows, and throws and sweeps if Shotokan allows that.

dont keep blocking cos eventually they will hit you nobody can block everything just lay into then keep attacking and watch for their counter attact block then and then counter yourself other than that be brave dont care about getting hit and just attack eventually you will hit then also work on your speed

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.