oom yung doe. what is this?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would disagree with the fraudulent claim. My teacher is a blackbelt in Shaolin-Do, and a few other systems, and I have fought a few other Shaolin-Do blackbelts. I don't like the art as much as I like kuntao, but I definitely wouldn't call it a bad art. Unless you meant something else by fraudulent? Such as lineage or some such?

I CAN tell you one thing. Many people believe it fraudulent due to a Japanese style belt system. This is only because it supposedly developed in Okinawa when Shaolin trained monks fled China. They adopted Japanese training methods to hide amongst them. Or so I have been told.

Edited by fallen_milkman

36 styles of danger

well it does seem a tad fishy to me. not as an art, but how it seems to be presented - in a "if you learn this, then you can do all these flashy moves" sort of way.

whats kuntao?

• 2 weeks later...

Oom Yung Doe is FAKE. I know of 3 people that take it. It's supposedly 8 martial arts in ONE.

The main instructor (founder), Iron Kim, was told to the students to be on a meditative retreat, when in fact he was actually in jail for tax evasion.

I would disagree with the fraudulent claim. Might seem a little cultist to some, though. My teacher is a blackbelt in Shaolin-Do, and a few other systems, and I have fought a few other Shaolin-Do blackbelts. I don't like the art as much as I like kuntao, but I definitely wouldn't call it a bad art. Unless you meant something else by fraudulent? Such as lineage or some such?

I CAN tell you one thing. Many people believe it fraudulent due to a Japanese style belt system. This is only because it supposedly developed in Okinawa when Shaolin trained monks fled China. They adopted Japanese training methods to hide amongst them. Or so I have been told.

No, it's considered fraudulent because of lineage claims and because of the ridiculous stories, like the granmaster doing a flying kick off of an 11 story building.

I would disagree with the fraudulent claim. Might seem a little cultist to some, though. My teacher is a blackbelt in Shaolin-Do, and a few other systems, and I have fought a few other Shaolin-Do blackbelts. I don't like the art as much as I like kuntao, but I definitely wouldn't call it a bad art. Unless you meant something else by fraudulent? Such as lineage or some such?

No, it's considered fraudulent because of lineage claims and because of the ridiculous stories, like the granmaster doing a flying kick off of an 11 story building.

Just because you can't do a jump kick off an 11-story building doesn't give you the right to claim they are fraudulent. :brow:

Hm. Never heard of that claim. I can understand why it would put a lot of people off. Like I said, I don't care much for the art myself. However, I have a very strong suspicion these are very different lineages of Shaolin-do if they are even the same art form. I can find nothing linking the two on my own.

36 styles of danger