• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

UFC with kungfu only

dose anyone know how a kungfu fighter like me one day win the UFC tournament u know after i master my style of kungfu ( tan-tui and tai-chi praying mantis) :D i know it takes grapppling work and that is not a problem because they work with me on that. 8)

but i really want to one day be the first to win UFC without useing mixed MA only kungfu what do u guys think, i know it's possible right.... RIGHT.

PEACE :) :D :karate: :karate: :kaioken:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The UFC is the beginning of MMA. It's possible to win UFC with just grappeling or just hands (Chuck Liddel did it). No one has won with just kicks ( sorry TKD guys). When you limit your self to just one art like kung fu you are at a disavantage. Learn the best ways to punch, kick and grappel and forget about being kung fu. Compete in ameture wrestling and boxing events. Lift weights. Eat right. Do these things and you'll have a shot at the UFC title.

A complete kung fu system could definitely do it. The only problem is finding someone who teaches it. Most Chinese arts have a specialty, and don't focus on the other aspects of fighting. This is why I love kuntao. We cover everything. Ground fighting, China na, powerful strikes, etc. It is an amazingly rounded art for a Chinese system. Only problem is how scarce it is.

36 styles of danger

The UFC is the beginning of MMA. It's possible to win UFC with just grappeling or just hands (Chuck Liddel did it). No one has won with just kicks ( sorry TKD guys). When you limit your self to just one art like kung fu you are at a disavantage. Learn the best ways to punch, kick and grappel and forget about being kung fu. Compete in ameture wrestling and boxing events. Lift weights. Eat right. Do these things and you'll have a shot at the UFC title.

He will have to know and understand grappling. What alot of people don't know about liddel is that he has grappled ALL of his life. He wrestled as a kid and all throught hich school and college. He was captain of his team in high school and was national level caliber. He has also been doing bjj for the past seven years. That is why he is so good at defending takedowns - he understands them inside and out.

A complete kung fu system could definitely do it. The only problem is finding someone who teaches it. Most Chinese arts have a specialty, and don't focus on the other aspects of fighting. This is why I love kuntao. We cover everything. Ground fighting, China na, powerful strikes, etc. It is an amazingly rounded art for a Chinese system. Only problem is how scarce it is.

It's more than just that. It takes more than merely being present in the system. you have to train it daily. My shuai chiao teacher has trained kuntao for years and even though he can school the grapplers while standing, they can school him on the ground. Why? He doesn't train ground grappling enough.

i agree if you are just going to stick with kung fu you dont have much of a chance sorry. just one question does your school do full contact if not and you want to compeate in MMA get out and find another school.

Fist visible Strike invisible

Someone already mentioned that Chuck Liddel was a collegiate wrestler, so I wont go into detail about that.

Winning a UFC on just kung fu alone? Practically non existent- winning on any single style alone- practically non existent.

For one, its not like UFC is the only mixed martial arts tournament out there, it just happens to be at the pinnicle of them (UFC and Pride) and they get most of their talent from other pools of MMA (King of the Cage for example). Its almost impossible to fight someone and NOT have video footage of any of their previous fights. That being said, people are always looking for ways to exploit their opponents weaknesses and if youve got them on the ground or on the feet, your opponents will take full advantage of them.

Dont get caught up with trying to prove how great kung fu (or any system for that matter) is. The BJJ guys initially thought that BJJ was the only thing you needed to fight (and was the only one that worked). Then wrestlers started to learn how to avoid submissions and G&P to decisions, and after that strikers learned how to sprawl and survive should they be taken to the ground (survive long enough to be able to escape back to their feet). MMA came full circle when BJJ fighters had to actually practice takedowns and learn how to throw their hands, or else theyd get knocked out.

i disagree i think that if it is a well rounded kungfu style (i wouldnt know) and your training it full contact hardcore and your intructors are working with you on grappling then you dont have to seek out a bjj coach or anything like that, train hard do your homework and you could stand a chance, becoming a champion on the other hand im not so sure

It's more than just that. It takes more than merely being present in the system. you have to train it daily. My shuai chiao teacher has trained kuntao for years and even though he can school the grapplers while standing, they can school him on the ground. Why? He doesn't train ground grappling enough.

I understand that, and I'm not saying I could compete in UFC and win, or even stand up for more than 13 seconds. What I am saying is I am under the full belief that someone fully trained in kuntao or any other well-rounded martial arts system who trained the strength and endurance to fight in the UFC would do much better than most give a single-stylist credit for. Kuntao does train ground fighting, and my friends and I practise it quite often. If other styles have ground fighting technique and they don't practise it that is their fault, not the style's.

36 styles of danger

your not going to go very far with one stlye of fighting these days.

Exactly, short but meaningful

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike