• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate turnament rules for knock down/out in the US?

SenseiMike

I think it's a good idea, it would certainly add another dimension to the fighting.

I have been thinking lately it would be good to combine judo and kyokushin rules in some way to add grappling, throwing and ground fighting as well as the stand up striking (no striking on the ground though, still no face punches but still no padding either!).

The two original budo forms united!

Just a thought...sorry for the rant!

"Let's Get It On!!!"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I fought in a similar tournament two years ago , the one second grab was allowed with both hands , and again , the number of K.o.s from hiza geri was unbelievable. ( thats whay i said that the fight could go nasty in the first place )

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

MadMatt , I was thinking the same way , it would be great .

Have u ever heard of daidu juku ???

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

Figured I better reply to this, sorry, got knocked off line by the cable company for a bit.

Yes I train Shotokan, coming from a tkd back ground. There are no kyukushin schools around here, nor shotokan schools untill recently, I trained most of my karate in a private club, located in the basements of it's members.

I've seen enough shotokan competition videos to figure that it's a lot like TKD matches. Not my taste.

It's not just Kyukushin Karateka that train hard, I train my students the way I trained, and it's very, very, very hard.

You can become a great fighter without ever becoming a martial artist, but no sir, you can not become a great martial artist with out becoming a great fighter. To fight is most certainly not the aim of any true martial art, but they are fighting arts all the same. As martial artists, we must stand ready to fight, even if hoping that such conflict never comes.

-My response to a fellow instructor, in a friendly debate

But these are legal rules, and I don't need to register with any local government bodies to authorize the fights?

PS all of the other schools here are wado ryu, or tkd. so most likely I'll allow pads instead of bare knuckle.

You can become a great fighter without ever becoming a martial artist, but no sir, you can not become a great martial artist with out becoming a great fighter. To fight is most certainly not the aim of any true martial art, but they are fighting arts all the same. As martial artists, we must stand ready to fight, even if hoping that such conflict never comes.

-My response to a fellow instructor, in a friendly debate

SenseiMike

Even if there are no Kyokushin schools near you there may be one of its offshoots - such as Seido, World Oyama Karate or Ashihara. There are more but those are the biggest 3 as far as I know.

Try contacting thme via email and they may be able to help your query regarding legalities. I understand you are in the US so you have a State Law and Federal Law issue to overcome. This type of fighting is definetely legal in some states as there have been knockdown tournaments in the US for years.

As regards the bare knuckle thing I'd suggest you try it first. In this type of fighting it is bare knuckle but punching is only allowed to the body and arms. With proper conditioning it should not be a problem. The big issue is going to be the low kicks to the thighs. Every fighter I have encountered who does not train for these finds them difficult to deal with. And the pain is something new. Many of them bring there hands down to block as they dont know how to block with the shin and a seasoned Knockdown fighter very quickly learns to switch up to the head resulting in some spectacular knockouts.

Osu!

PS Let us know how you get on

Why is it, when all is said and done, that more is said than done - John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Some good points there guys,

y2-sub,

I have heard of it before and I checked out one website but I really know very little except that it's a variation of Kyokushin with throws and groundfighting and they wear special helmuts to allow punches to the head without gloves?

If you can expand on that I would be interested to learn more.

"Let's Get It On!!!"