• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate turnament rules for knock down/out in the US?

SenseiMike

hey there, question for you tournament savy guys,

I found these rules for a dutch kyokushin tournament online. never seen anything like them in the us, but I've only been to tkd tounaments as I quit competeing before I moved into Shotokan. Are these rules legal for the US?

Cuz I would love to host a few matches in my area under them.

RULES

Open Dutch Championships Kyokushin Karate

1. Rounds:

1st round 2 minutes, 30 seconds rest, 2nd round 2 minutes, winner appointed.

HALF FINALS & FINALS : 1st round 3 minutes, 30 seconds rest, 2nd round 2 minutes

with possibility of 1 more extension of 2 minutes (encho sen).

2. The matted area for matches shall be on 2 tatami’s

3. No protecting clothing than groin guards may be worn. Gum shields are strongly recommended.

Women only cups, NO SHIELD.

4. A participant wins only by knock-down or knock-out or appointed by the referees.

5. Techniques allowed:

- Punches and elbows to the body

- Knee techniques to the body, legs and head

- Kicks to the body, legs and head

- Throwing- and sweeptechniques followed by an authorized technique

- Grabbing the opponent for a split second is allowed for throwing techniques or kneetechniques.

6. Prohibited techniques : leads to Hansoku (official warning) and Shikakku (disqualification)

- Any attack to opponents head, face, groin or neck with open hand, fist or any part of the arm.

- Kicks to the groin, straight kicks to the kneecap

- Head thrusts or butts

- Any attack to an opponents backspinea

- Strikes or kicks to a downed opponent, unless the attack or strike immediately follows a sweep or downing technique, in which case there is no contact allowed.

- no-one may attack while opponent is down

- Failing to obey the referees instructions during a match.

- Frequently retreating from or out the contest area or moves that waste time.

- Persistent bad behaviour or violence.

7. Weight differences/extensions (half finals, finals)

- If there is no clear winner after two rounds the referree may ask both contestants to be weigh. If there’s a difference of more than 5 kilo, the lighter competitor will be declared the winner of the match.

- If there is no difference of weight there will be the possibility to 1 extension of 2 minutes. After the extension the referees must point out a winner, no hike wake (draw)

8. Criteria : Minimum age 18 years

9. There will be no Tamishiwara

10. This competition is for men and women, open for any grade or style.

11. Only one coach is allowed at the ring area during the fight.

12. The coach must wear trainingsuit and sportshoes.

13. The organization can adjust the rules due to special circumstances.

I hope that your team will be able to attend to our championship.

Osu

Shihan Sjaak van de Velde.

THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS.

You can become a great fighter without ever becoming a martial artist, but no sir, you can not become a great martial artist with out becoming a great fighter. To fight is most certainly not the aim of any true martial art, but they are fighting arts all the same. As martial artists, we must stand ready to fight, even if hoping that such conflict never comes.

-My response to a fellow instructor, in a friendly debate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

SenseiMike

Those are pretty much standard Kyokushin Knockdown rules. They are legal in the uS as almost all kyokushin factions host annual tournaments which include knockdown sections.

As regards you hosting yourown matches under these rules - I would suggest contacting a Kyokushin group or any of its offshoots and have a word with their chief knockdown referee. Go along to one of their tournaments and see what you think.

Osu!

Why is it, when all is said and done, that more is said than done - John Fitzgerald Kennedy

I found these rules for a dutch kyokushin tournament online. never seen anything like them in the us, but I've only been to tkd tounaments as I quit competeing before I moved into Shotokan. Are these rules legal for the US?

Cuz I would love to host a few matches in my area under them.

RULES

Open Dutch Championships Kyokushin Karate

If you train in shotokan why would you like to host a knockdown tournament under kyokushin rules. Those kyokushin karate-ka's train hard and condition their bodies to enable them to take hard blows. IMO the kyokushin karate-ka would wipe the floor with the other styles simply as most dont train and condition for that much punishment, those mawashi geri's to the thighs are punishing until you are conditioned to it.Will try and find clip to demonstrate my point.

regards maki

We are necessarily imperfect and therefore always in a state of growth,

We can always learn more and therefore perform better.

Try this linkhttp://www.kyokushintoday.nl/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownloaddetails&lid=63&title=Kyokushin%20vs%20Shotokan

Its down at the moment but should be availible later.

regards maki

Hello makiwaraman

What happned with your kyokushinkai training ??

From the way i c it , there is no kyokushin karateka in hios area , it's just shotokan members fighting under kyokushin rules , it won't be that hard :)

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

Hello makiwaraman

What happned with your kyokushinkai training ??

From the way i c it , there is no kyokushin karateka in hios area , it's just shotokan members fighting under kyokushin rules , it won't be that hard :)

Hello y2_sub

To be honest it was a little too high tempo for me at the moment, I am happy were I train now and Hanshi Steve Arneil did not want me to cross train in shotokan and kyokushinkai. I fully intend to go back later and train in kyokushinkai.

Regards maki

Very similar to our knockdown tournaments except I'm interested in the throwing and sweeping techniques being allowed, as well as holding while kneeing. That's very different to our rules but I must say I like that variation.

Can anyone explain further as to what sort of throwing and sweep techniques they are referring to?

"Let's Get It On!!!"

Very similar to our knockdown tournaments except I'm interested in the throwing and sweeping techniques being allowed, as well as holding while kneeing. That's very different to our rules but I must say I like that variation.

Can anyone explain further as to what sort of throwing and sweep techniques they are referring to?

Where did you read the holding while kneeing thing ?? if so , then the fight could go very nasty ( love it though )

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

If you look back to the first World Kyokushin Tournaments you will see that there was indeed hooking behind the head,kneeing,throws and sweeps. This is not new, it is something that was done many years ago and is coming back into the fold.

I fought a Knockdown tournament about 10 years ago and the one second grab was allowed with one hand. The number of knockouts from Hiza ganmen geri was incredible. But it was the first time it had been tried in a number of years so many people wre not prepared.

Osu!

Why is it, when all is said and done, that more is said than done - John Fitzgerald Kennedy