• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Running!

Then why train in the Martial arts? Should you be training in track and field?

Okay, so "running" may not be a "technique" per se but a strong cardiovascular system may be the edge that differentiates between winning and loosing in a tournament or on the street. Endurance and stamina is developed through running and will prove to be invaluable in many self defense circumstances.... (as I know very well with having to chase after my purse snatcher last week!) I'm sure you'd like to think that all street confrontations will end quickly with some well executed strikes, but in reality this is not often the case. Your heart pounds and the adrenaline flows an you can exhaust yourself in a matter of seconds. Knowing that you have increased endurance can give you the psychological edge against your "opponent".

So NO I'm not training in track & field! ... but as I can see from your response why cardio training is an area often neglected by "most" martial artists in their training routines, because it isn't evident to "some" just how

it does directly benefit your art.

but as I can see from your response why cardio training is an area often neglected by "most" martial artists in their training routines, because it isn't evident to "some" just how

it does directly benefit your art.

KickChick...

I'm a Muay Thai fighter, I do more cardio and conditioning in one day, then most martial artist do in a week.

Limits Are Not Accepted. They Are Elbowed, Kicked And Punched.

Thai_kick, you will notice in this particular post (and in most of my posts) that I make very good use of (") .... so you are not like "most" martial artists ... well, we are not all muay thai fighters and many of us (non-muay thai practitioners) may need to crosstrain with a cardio endurance exercise such as running.

So in effect ... you are not disputing the importance? Or do you still believe "running" belongs only to those who train in track & field? Y'know ... Bruce Lee viewed "running" as the "King of exercises"

And I do believe it is a valid self defense proponent! :nod:

• 1 month later...
there is no techique that is the best. everytechique has advantages and disadvantages. but generally, almost all leg techniques are superior compared to hand techniques except for the three hole pu :up: nch.

John R

• 1 month later...
I always find it was the first technique I learnt which is the most comfortable? Jab, reverse front puch kick. Anyone else find that?

"I didn't lose!!! I just ran out of time to figure out how to beat him."

(Thai-Kick-Jitsu, Blue Belt)