• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Your Most Confident Technique

I'm just curious if any of you have a specific technique, from one to a few hits, that you find you have developed to a point of high confidence. I realize that different techniques will be used at different times, and I'm just wondering if there is a specific strike or technique that you all enjoy the most. For me, it is my back knuckle, it's probably my fastest and most trained tech.

Dave :cool:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ol' faithfull has got to be the *lead (right) hook. Other stuff I have every confidence in ('cos they've performed well under pressure) include...

*Straight lead punch (vertical fist - full hip torque)

*Low Thai kick

*Lead shin kick to the groin

* Lead (Right) stepping sidekick

Headbutt done Kali styleeee (Dropping & pulling)

Knee to the thigh

Inner forearm bump

Oblique kick (dum tek)

Lead horizontal & rear diagonal elbows

* I've ended fights with one shot using these.

YODA

2nd Degree Black Belt : Doce Pares Eskrima

Instructor : JKD Concepts

http://www.jkdc.co.uk / http://www.docepares.co.uk

[ This Message was edited by: YODA on 2002-03-08 22:11 ]

YODA

2nd Degree Black Belt : Doce Pares Eskrima https://www.docepares.co.uk

Qualified Instructor : JKD Concepts https://www.jkdc.co.uk

Qualified Fitness Instructor (Weights, CV, Circuit, Kinesiology)

Bruce Lee said:

A good Jeet Kune Do man does not oppose force or give way completely. He is pliable as a spring; he is the complement and not the opposition to his opponent's strength. He has no technique; he makes his opponent's techniques his technique.

Wing Chun, in different ways at different levels, always attempts to 'fit in' with the opponent. In this month's Black Belt magazine Tony Blauer talks about every martial artist having a favorite technique. I thought about this for a minute and realized that I do not have a favorite technique - and I think this is probably true for most Wing Chun people, and is true for the kung-fu brothers I've asked. Each tool in Wing Chun is designed to fit in with what the opponent is doing. I do not 'favor' a Dim Jung (palm) over a Cheung Choi (fist): The difference between the two strikes comes down to the position of the elbow during the striking movement, and determines which line or gate it controls. Of course, which line we need to control depends on what the opponent is doing or is about to do or could do. Likewise, whether we use a left or right hand is not dependant on if we are left handed or right handed, it is determined by the opponent’s actions or potential actions. Chi-Sao, for example, is an exercise in adapting to the energy of the opponent. This energy can tell you what the intention of the opponent is and dictates which technique must be used in order to maintain or gain control of the line.

In another helpful example Tony Blauer talks about styles responding to his question. 'What would you do if' scenarios. He says that styles respond to these questions by saying, "If he did that I'd kick him..." or "If he did that I'd grab his wrist..." In Wing Chun we never plan attack specific moves, we only say, "I will attack his Centerline" or "I will protect my Centerline" and we use the system to do this. This is the difference between using techniques and using concepts. Aikido uses concepts too and Aiki means 'to harmonize' in combat the ideal is to harmonize with the opponent and compliment what he does. In this way he can be rendered helpless and his energy used against him.

For example: If the opponent comes in with a low punch crossing the Centerline a possible response would be to control the center by using a Jut Sao on the same line/side as his punch. At the same time the other hand will strike. Together these movements are called Jut-Da and this means that 'Jut', which is a slight jerking motion with the hand and forearm, is used with a strike from the other hand.. The Jut Sao in keeping with harmonizing 'pulls' his punching energy inside closer to us, while deflecting downward, but adding to his energy and speeding up his attack (also off-balancing him) while simultaneously hitting him. The result is that his attacking energy is added to your striking energy, in essence you pull him into your striking hand. This is what we mean by using the opponent’s energy against him and is only possible when this harmony is achieved.

Jim

Moy Yat Ving Tsun

Rest in peace: Moy Yat Sifu

Yeap...

My jab, it's harder than my reverse punch and much quicker. I'd open a fight with this, since people don't expect you to open with a jab, you can even afford to be slow.

Reverse punch, hook, uppercut.... This punch.. I love this punch 'cause of the awesome power you get out of.. Dunno if it has a name, but the back hand comes up high near your head, then you execute the punch down on about a 45 degree angle.

Roundhouse with back leg, front kick front and back, side kick front and back.

Couple of feints and combos:

Lift lead hand up quick and come round with a right hook.

Pretend to telegraph reverse punch, then jab.

Jab, punch, thigh kick.

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

[ This Message was edited by: Bon on 2002-03-09 05:42 ]

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

i guess my stand up fighting skills are pretty good since im a competitive kickboxer......if a guy picked a fist fight with me i think i could take him out in the first few hits

on the ground........i am really confident with my chokes..... i got in a fight one time with a guy and i back mounted him and landed a figure four choke on him

i held on to him till he passed out and i took off

You can boo me if you want, You know I'm right!

-Chris Rock

Lead leg side or front kick for me is my favorite leg technique. It is very quick and strong. My favorite hand technique is simply a backfist /reverse punch combo or backfist/ hook punch combo. The punches flow together and the backfist usually draws the block so the reverse or hook can find its mark. A favorite tactic though is fake low go high or visa versa. :brow:

Brett

The Hand is quicker than the eye!

well i guess it would be jab jab cross beat the **** out of them :grin: :lol: j/k

well i would be cross jab uppercut then a kick to the body and and from their a back kick :grin:

when you do your best it`s going to show.

"If you watch the pros, You will learn something new"