• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What is your main focus during Kumite (sparring)?

What do you focus on during Kumite?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What do you focus on during Kumite?

• Punches/ other hand strikes
    • kicks
    • takedowns
    • grappling
    • attacking to/ from the ground
    • hand blocks
    • blocks with the legs/ knees

I focus on helping not only myself learn to read the body properly and attack without conscious thought but I focus on also helping my partner. I help by purposely leaving an area open and such hoping my partner picks up on it. My partner does the same. No fighter is flawless and that's why we train to do our best and not to try and achieve perfection.

But..If you're speaking technical, I guess I'd say hand blocking..I'm not sure haha I try not to concentrate on one specific thing, more of a variety

"Freedom discovers man the moment he loses concern over what impression he is making or about to make."

-Bruce Lee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My "sparring" isn't "Kumite", but mostly I try to keep my attacks and movement on/from the floor clean and running well, since that tends to be the area where I notice rustiness most dramatically. The rest I keep maintained, but I need to make especially sure that I don't misjudge my positioning on any of the kicks where i'm small and have my hands on the ground; usually those are associated with much more limited open space and i'm having to come out slipping through and under knees and stuff more often.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

for myself my biggest focus going into competition is taisabaki...if i can be sure to not be there when the punch or kick arrives, i'm in great shape.

Think before you act, but act before it's too late.

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/3535/siggydemo58lq.jpg

(Images aren't allowed, but if you want, take a peek for yourself ^ )

I look at the punches, kicks and blocks as tools. The tools do not win the fight so I try not to focus on them. I always try and focus on taking my partners mind. Once you find ways to do that you see how surprising it is to dominate people that just moments before were just as good or even a bit better than you are.

Some day I hope to have the ability to focus my mind in ever fight so that I can dominate every fight. I just can't seem to keep the focus for long now and some days it I can't get it at all.

I said takedowns. I'm small, and I work best when it's in my face, since I don't have as much reach as most of the people at my dojo. So I work to get inside, a punch or 2, then I make a throw / sweep as solid as I can.