• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What is your main focus during Kumite (sparring)?

What do you focus on during Kumite?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What do you focus on during Kumite?

• Punches/ other hand strikes
    • kicks
    • takedowns
    • grappling
    • attacking to/ from the ground
    • hand blocks
    • blocks with the legs/ knees

I'm more of a counter fighter by nature. I use my kicks to set up my punches and defensively to back my partner off.

The last couple of sessions I have been working on a new concept for me.I try to continiously keep my partner off balance literally.

I've been experimenting with ways to upset his core by not letting him get his weight set, keeping at an advantageous angle, jamming, sweeping and circling more.

I am having surprisingly good results as this seems to be working on those faster, younger, kick happy opponents as well as a few of the big monsters I get paired up with. :D

No luck with the Sandan who has been training for 25 years though :P !!!

(He's the one I picked it up from)

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I meant what you do MOST anytime you're doing kumite. Please excuse my bad phrasing.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

i go with pineapple i also focus on blocking mainly then go with the counter attack and when i learn takedowns i will use them like crazy lol i just got my yellow belt two days ago :) but yea i wait for my opponent to strike first then i block and counter that usually works

I voted for hand techniques since every kick of mine is followed by 4 or 5 hand strikes ( punsh , elbow , shoto ... ) I use punshes and low kicks when i get tired to regain my energy , but then again i kick a lot , lots of my k.o.s are done with kicks ,from the way i c it , it dosn't matter weither it's hand strikes , kicks , counters ..... The important thing is to win the fight

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

well u see when the assistant instructor started teaching me how to sparr/fight he taught me to usually nutralize then takedown or vice versa.

EXAMPLE: someone punches at me, i move to the side grab arm and also kick to torso then maybe knee strike if i feel like it then go into a takedown. by use a arm ock or something. :D then i maybe sit on his back while own the ground. twist arm all the way around pull back and

BAMMMMM!!! CRACK!!!! POP!!!! his arm is broke but i only do that i feel meen enough. :kaioken: :x but i probably would not do that because i am a kind person at heart. but if u did something Xtreamly bad i might. :roll: :lol:

PEACE :D :karate: :) 8) :evil: :kaioken: :x

Sorry, I meant what you do MOST anytime you're doing kumite. Please excuse my bad phrasing.

That's ok. Just wanted to answer your question correctly. :)

The last couple of sessions I have been working on a new concept for me.I try to continiously keep my partner off balance literally.

I've been experimenting with ways to upset his core by not letting him get his weight set, keeping at an advantageous angle, jamming, sweeping and circling more.

That's what our sensei is trying to teach us lately... It's really effective and useful when I get it right, but still need a lot of practice. :roll:

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Kicks. I can never get near enough to people I'm sparring to punch them.

that tells me that when you spar, you should focus on using your footwork and combinations to get you into punching range. you will never be able to get close to them if you don't practice it...

My main focus is trying to lose the ego and let your opponent get through and look for openings weakness. Then my main attack would be punch then mawashi geri my two strongest techniques.

Regards maki

We are necessarily imperfect and therefore always in a state of growth,

We can always learn more and therefore perform better.