• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What is your main focus during Kumite (sparring)?

What do you focus on during Kumite?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What do you focus on during Kumite?

• Punches/ other hand strikes
    • kicks
    • takedowns
    • grappling
    • attacking to/ from the ground
    • hand blocks
    • blocks with the legs/ knees

Just wondering what you focus MOST on when training for Kumite.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i said kicks.............ive got really long legs so a turning kick to my opponents leg is quite easy and nearly no risk, not a fight ender though lol, when i get more into sparring i'll get to experiment

Since I do WTF TKD, kicks mainly. But I do shin blocks (Thai style ... which is what my old style was mixed with) which throws everyone off. I don't block kicks with my arms cause I have skinny arms, but shin blocks work well ;)

When I did TSD (the art that was mixed with Thai boxing), we were allowed to do the whole nine yards (takedowns, punching, kicks, ect). That was so much fun. It was also mixed with jujitsu, but during sparring, no "throws" were allowed. Just takedowns. Weird LOL

Laurie F

Crazy kicks, baby!

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

My Sifu makes us take em down

In some matches he wont award points unless we get a takedown (sweeps, chin na, knee kicks) then we punish with punches or kicks...

There is no teacher but the enemy.

Aren't you asking two different things? In the topics title you're asking what you're focused on during kumite itself. But then in the post below - what you're focused on when training for kumite.

To answer one - when training for kumite - for me - attack combinations are just slightly more important than blocks and counter strikes.

To answer what I'm focused during kumite itself - I honestly don't think I'm focused on anything in particular. Should I be? Shouldn't one be in a state of mind called zanshin? (Or at least strive to be...)

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

During kumite: I'm supposed to concentrated on myself, but usually end up concentrating on the other person.

During training for kumite: ...I don't really train for kumite. I suppose whatever we do in class? Oh, I know! Kata!

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu

I'm not advanced enough yet to do free-sparring; right now, it's just 1- and 3-step sparring. But I generally don't think ahead about what I'm going to focus on. I just see what works after the other person throws his/her attack.