• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Goal of Kyokushin Kumite?

ShotokanKid

I was watching videos of Kyokushin Kumite and I was wondering, what exactly is the goal behind the matches? Are they scorred, or is it more like boxing?

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm new, but I'll give a stab at answering. The matches you will see are contact, knock-down or knock-out competitions, and non-contact.

Contact Matches:

Points are given in matches for knocking the person down, kicking them in the head or making-them-double-over-in-pain type of thing from a strike.

Points are taken away for using prohibited techniques, such as punches to the head (dangerous and painful with no gloves) and knees to the groin (just a cheap move).

At the end points are added up to decide who wins if neither fighter was knocked out. If a fighter is knocked out, the other fighter wins. The fours corner judges will also factor into their decision the spirit shown by the two fighters and the level of their skills (whether they're just brawling or actually using technique taught in class).

Non-Contact:

The corner judges make their decisions based upon who makes more strikes that come within six inches of the other persons body without getting blocked. The person with the most unblocked strikes wins. Kicks must be above the waist and no contact should be made on strikes, but it is acceptable on blocks. If a person were to make contact on punches and kicks, even if it were to be light, this shows less control and it would weigh against them in the judge's final decision.

I'm sure there's more to add, but I don't know all of it.

"Don't tell me what I can't do."

The primary goal of kyokushin kumite is to knock down your opponent .

you can win a match by scoring an ippon ( full point ) which is any legal move that knocks the opponent for more than 3 seconds and makes him loose his will to fight

You can win by waza-ari ( half point ) which is any legal move that knocks down the opponent for less than 3 seconds

wazari+wazari = ippon

you can also win by descision , if you are the overall better fighter

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike