• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Niju Hachi Ho Kata?

wyx

I was looking at Kanazawas new 9 dvd boxset and it mentions Kanazawa performing this kata (its based on white crane form I belive).

Ive never heard of it in Shotokan before. I cant really afford the boxset of dvds so as anyone performed or heard of this?

Are there any books describing it or any diagrams/movieclips online?

Of course ill ask my sensei at the weekend, hes trained with kanazawa in japan a couple of times.

Thanks.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Done some research and apparently Knazawas association also performs a kata called hyakuhachiho which is a shotokan version of SUPARENPI kata from Okinwan karate so im presuming nijuhachiho is also based on an okinawan form.

Any Okinawn karateka want to take a guess?

PS I watched a shitokai/ryu mpeg of suparenpi and thought it was awesome! started of a bit like hangetsu but there was almost no steps just

nice hand movements! very impressive.

I would love to see how the kanazawa/shotokan version compares. I think its great that kanazawa is bringing kata like these into shotokan.

It is an SKIF kata which is only being taught to BB. Kanazawa started to teach it in our organization a few years ago as he did not want the kata to become lost. It is still not widely practiced and I would think you will be seeing more of it in the next few years as more people are learning it.

To my knowledge he does not have any publised video of this kata at the moment and I have not found any diagrams out there. It is basically taught only to BB from person to person.

If I send you the kata I'd have to kill ya!!! :P (or the ninjas would kill me :o :o :o )

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

By the way, i think the mentioned kata was not shotokan original kata

(ie. there was no Nipaipo kata in shotokan ryu)....i guess this is

Kanazawa sensei create it for SKIF only...... :idea:

if my thinking is wrong, please correct me, thanks!

Thanks for replies, Guess Ill have to wait a while for it to become common knowledge.

Im even more tempted to buy kanazawas dvd boxset now!

I've been told that Kanazawa Sensei learned this kata as a child. I do not remember where he learned it from. When he visits again I will definately make a point of asking him. You have peaked my curiousity. :)

I've been told that Kanazawa Sensei learned this kata as a child. I do not remember where he learned it from. When he visits again I will definately make a point of asking him. You have peaked my curiousity. :)

:P please ask Kanazawa Sensei who he learn that kata from,

i'm curious too....:)

• 2 weeks later...

Just found out that this kata is a shotokan version Nipaipo Kata.

So basically suparenpi and nipaipo are being brought into the Shotokan sylabus by kanazawa. Cant wait to see the Shotokan versions as both of theses katas are very different from any other kata I can think of.

The Shotokan version has more of the softer and circular movements that are normally not as prevelant in Shotokan as well as Sanchin style breathing in the latter half.