• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

MAIA or NAPMA

Which is better? One, the other or both? I'm looking at both and can't decide with out signing up for both and comparing. Before I do that, I thought I'd ask.

FWIW, I looked at both of them and was unimpressed.

You I know, online anyway. Just what didn't immpress you about them? And if you didn't have the ATA's business tips and backing, who would you go thru, if anyone?

The orientation is all about extracting as much money out of the student as you can without being arrested for robbery. I don't need to pay someone $200 a month to be told how to jerk my students around; I think I could figure that out for myself.

Frankly, ATA's getting to be the same way. All I use from them is flyers for the most part. And I don't use that many of them because they are almost all kid oriented and I want adults to feel welcome in my school as well. I don't follow their suggested marketing plans all that closely and as a result, I do very, very few paid seminars. I think that the stuff taught in the seminars is supposed to be taught in class, not added on for extra dough. My paid seminars are all extra-curricular, like SHARP.

There are those who would say (and have said) that is why my school is small and struggling. And to some degree, they would be correct. If I were willing to sell out my principles, I could probably have 250+ students on the floor by next August. If I did, I sure wouldn't lie awake at night wondering how the rent is going to be paid this month. I just wouldn't be able to sleep for other reasons.

My $0.02 worth....

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best investment you could make is to hire a small business consultant, one with substantial experience. You don't need to know the subject, you merely need to have someone help you to get to that level, and a "hands-on" consultant can help you get there.

...snip...

Excellent post. I think you hit the nail squarely on the head with your descriptions of artisan, manager and consultant and how that applies to martial arts schools.

Thanks!

The best investment you could make is to hire a small business consultant, one with substantial experience. You don't need to know the subject, you merely need to have someone help you to get to that level, and a "hands-on" consultant can help you get there.

...snip...

Excellent post. I think you hit the nail squarely on the head with your descriptions of artisan, manager and consultant and how that applies to martial arts schools.

Thanks!

That was a great post.

WW,

My mentor is GM Jack Pierce. Very sucsessfull in the TKD world. I do/will pay him for his proffesional advice on running and maintaining a martial arts club. Under your last post would you concider him to be a paid consultant?

-Adam

yw Balrog. :)

MasterH, about Jack Pierce, i cannot say without knowing his credentials and/or background (someone need not credentials to be qualified, but a background helps). Shoot me a pm later, with some info on him, and i might be able to answer your query.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

GM Pierce has been around for quite a while. He was a high rank in ATA for many years and was actually one of the first folks to attain the title of Master in the ATA. He left the organization and either joined or founded the organization he's now with, I'm not sure which. I never learned the reason that he left, but I would imagine that it was a philosophical difference of some sort.

When he was a 5th Degree with ATA, he certified me as an instructor at the 1991 Korea Camp.

GM Pierce has been around for quite a while. He was a high rank in ATA for many years and was actually one of the first folks to attain the title of Master in the ATA. He left the organization and either joined or founded the organization he's now with, I'm not sure which. I never learned the reason that he left, but I would imagine that it was a philosophical difference of some sort.

When he was a 5th Degree with ATA, he certified me as an instructor at the 1991 Korea Camp.

I remember him going to that camp. I have a number of friends who went as well. I wanted to go, but just couldn't afford it, the year before I toured Taiwan and Hong Kong with my Drum and Bugle Corps. In hindsight, I should have certified. Yea, GM Pierce is a good mentor. I only wish he would go into the business a bit more with me. That's why I'm asking about NAPMA and MAIA.