• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

MAIA or NAPMA

much better in terms of tips from Martial Artists like the Kovars

I'm always willing to toss the dirt on things. In this case, i've visited one of their schools back in 1992. If any schools deserve the title of mcdojo, it is theirs. I respect them only in regards to their marketing and business management. They 'know' how to build a business, but i find it appalling that they 'use' the martial arts as a base for their 'pseudo-preschools.' Essentially, they are exploiting the ignorance of parents, providing substandard instruction to a mass of children, at a cost of $125 a month per student 45 minute classes... which is a joke, btw). Oh, and adult classes are pretty much only on the weekends.

Anyway, if your ultimate goal is to make the buck, i suppose it's not all that bad. But when i went to visit their school, i was quite disturbed to see non-black belts instructing in their multi-level, multi-minirooms dojo... with toys strewn all about.

Whatever, each to their own, eh? I mean, if this is what MAIA offers over NAPMA, i would say it's worth it if profit is your only goal.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which is better? One, the other or both? I'm looking at both and can't decide with out signing up for both and comparing. Before I do that, I thought I'd ask.

FWIW, I looked at both of them and was unimpressed.

You I know, online anyway. Just what didn't immpress you about them? And if you didn't have the ATA's business tips and backing, who would you go thru, if anyone?

You do but it has really gone down in quality. MAIA has much better in terms of tips from Martial Artists like the Kovars, Tom Callos and Bill Wallace to name a few.

The Kovars.......you're talking ProMAC correct?

-Adam

Yep, it's a racket. You're essentially being trained small business management by a person with a bachelor's degree in applied economics and being charged "major university tuition" rates. Actually, it's a little worse than that. You attend 'one' class every 'other' month... and pay $500 per month, with a $1000 start-up fee, 12 sessions over a 24 month period.

That equates to $13,000 for a total of 12 days of training, spread out over two years. You're better off going to night-school for business management.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

I heard it was a bit on the expensive side. I went thru Mass Training back when it was just Chief Master Clark, so I know a little bit. But I'm also a bit rusty. Would you know of a group that has a clue, with out charging an arm and a leg? I also heard the Shurman concepts was a good group.

The best investment you could make is to hire a small business consultant, one with substantial experience. You don't need to know the subject, you merely need to have someone help you to get to that level, and a "hands-on" consultant can help you get there.

I normally do small business consulting, but am taking a hiatus from this field to work on my own affairs. I can tell you right off the bat, though, not everyone is cut out to be successful in business... and you definitely should not attempt to go through some 'short-cut' business program to get you 'up to par' on how to be a smart businessman. If you aren't already a smart businessman, a program won't help you. What you need is someone who 'knows' how to do that stuff to walk in and help you succeed, plain and simple...

And, btw, that's how the Kovars became successful. One was a martial arts student (wasn't even a black belt at the time, btw), while the other was a graduate of applied economics. One structured the courses, while the other managed the business development. So if you fall for their ProMAC program and think, "wow, i'm going to be as successful as them," you'll be in for a shocking letdown.

Here's a basic model of things (and mind you, i'm being very basic here). Successful businesses require three things: An artisan/technician, a manager/businessman, an entreprenuer/consultant. The problem with most small businesses is that you have one of the above only:

In the case of an artisan, you provide a quality product, but don't manage your business for growth and don't have the money or the foresight to plan ahead. Therefore, you provide a limited quantity of quality products and your business is stunted. Regardless of how large your fanbase grows, your productivity will never increase, and thus your profit margin will remain the same. It is this model that is most common with 'quality instructors in the martial arts.'

In the case of a manager, you provide substandard products, yet manage your business quite well. Unfortunately, because the products are substandard, you end up spending an inordinate amount of energy replenishing your clientele. Marketing becomes your main focus, as well as exagerrated prices and a dependency on client ignorance. It is this model that is most common with 'mcdojos.'

In the case of an entrepreneur, you provide substandard products, a poor management model, but enough money to hire a bunch of people to keep the business afloat, or worse... get enough people to 'volunteer' to accept 'future profits' when the business goes public on the stock market. A smart entreprenuer can rise the business to great heights, only to have it come crashing down... eventually. With regret, i would say the "Lion's Den" suffered from this model.

Probably the best thing any 'smart' artisan can do is 'contract' a skilled businessman and 'contract' a skilled small business consultant. The second best thing any 'smart' artisan can do... is listen and 'act' on what is being presented to him by these two. The third best thing, would be to 'eventually' make these other two business partners or officers when you incorporate.

Btw, if you want to look at the Kovar model, you'll note that Dave Kovar would take up the position of "artisan," Tim Kovar would take up the mantle of "manager/businessman," and Rick Campbell would take up the mantle of "entrepreneur/consultant." Together they have a booming business.

Well, there's the absolute basics for success

Intro

Thanks, interesting post. At this moment I'm only opening a part time club, and I think of myself as a white belt in business, ok maybe a yellow belt with allot to learn. In a few months I may be looking for that consultant. My wife would be the manager, and I would be the artisan.