• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Belt Testing Fees

What is your average fee for grading?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. What is your average fee for grading?

• Less than $50
    • Between $ 50 and $100
    • Between $100 and $200
    • More than $200

I was reading another topic and saw that other schools charge for testing, and I was wondering the rationalization for this, from the instructor's point of view, since my school does not charge for grading. Not being rude, just really curious about other schools' fees. I could understand charging for the belt, but what else is included?

36 styles of danger

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

testing fees vary according to the contract you are on (or not on) at my school. At the main school the fee is minimal until Black Belt. At my school it is 45 bucks..keeping in mind that we only pay $50/month for classes.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

We charge $50 testing fee. A school down the road from me does not charge a testing fee, but their monthly fee is $15 higher than mine. In effect he builds his testing fee into his monthly fee. Neither one of us are wrong or right, just different.

Our testing is a pretty big deal. We bring in a guest instructor from out of state to sit on the judging panel and perform a demonstration midway through the testing. Also, since our national organization regulates belt ranks and issues the rank certificates, we have to pay them part of the testing fee.

--

I charge $40/month for classes, $0 for testings. The student buys their own belt/uniform/weapons.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

That is interesting that some schools bring in higher ranks to do demonstrations. I can also definitely see charging the student a fee if your organization does, but why do THEY ask for a fee?

Shorinryu Sensei, I pay exactly for my lessons what you charge. We buy our own equipment and sow our own belts, so we have no fees. We also don't need to bring in anyone from out of state, since our Grandmaster teaches at our school most of his time.

36 styles of danger

I currently charge testing fees of $45. I also offer family member discounts.

My monthly fees average to around $50/ month. (I teach at a Y, so there is a sliding scale)

I make very little money on testing, as the testing fee pays for:

-the actual costs of the belts

-the cost of boards, which I supply

-the cost of association certification and processing

-the cost of bringing in outside instructors (I don't pay them, but I do feed them, and pay for hotels and travel expenses depending on who it is)

Charging fees for testing isn't inherently wrong. You just have to look at what those fees are paying for.

EDIT: and frankly, there's nothing wrong with the instructor making a little bit of money off of testing, either....It's the ones that only pay out about $15 per student testing, but charge them $200 to test on top of $150 monthly fees that get to me, I guess....

Edited by TangSooGuy

I can also definitely see charging the student a fee if your organization does, but why do THEY ask for a fee?

Our association fee is the only source of income for our association. Like any organization, they need some money to operate. What we pay them is well worth it.

We also don't need to bring in anyone from out of state, since our Grandmaster teaches at our school most of his time.

We don't need to bring in someone, we do it for the benefit of our students. They usually get to see things they haven't seen before, and a chance to experience our art beyond of our small community. Who wouldn't want to watch a demonstration by a skilled martial artist from somewhere else?

Since the visiting instructor also helps on our judging panel, it helps us stay consistent and objective. While I think I am a pretty good judge of skill, I am human and subject to the shortcomings that brings.

--

I also make a few dollars from the testing fees. I have a mortgage and a family to provide for, so I don't feel bad about working hard AND getting paid for it.

--

We charge $35 for adults and $25 for kids who are testing for stripes. The kids (under 10) must test for one stripe between each belt before advancing.

The money goes to the cost of new belts and stripe patches, The certificate, certification with our association, and payment to the Godan who drives an hour and a half to test us for an hour, and then drives back.

"Achieving victory in every battle is not absolute perfection. Neutralizing an adversary’s forces without battle is perfection."

Sun-Tzu, The Art of War

testing fees vary according to the contract you are on (or not on) at my school. At the main school the fee is minimal until Black Belt. At my school it is 45 bucks..keeping in mind that we only pay $50/month for classes.

8)

I always wondered what you guys pay in PY. Anyways, I train at the main school and we just pay for the belt ($5) for color belt testing. But I pay a lot more in tuition than Heidi does :(

The BB's have to pay more for tests, but I don't know what it is. I'm not a BB yet LOL.

Laurie F