• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Weight lifting and Boxing

I just started Thai Boxing, and I've also been lifting weights for a while and like my size. I am about 5-7 and weigh about 170lbs, but most of the guys my height at the gym I take boxing, weigh about 130 - 150lbs Which happens to be my weight class if I don't lift. and Iam thinking that maybe it's best that I lost some weight. Any you guyz lifting heavy while training.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nothing wrong with it. pretty much all pro fighters lift. Here is the issue you may run into though, if you compete - it's an issue that I have - you will fight people taller than you most of the time. Consequently, you will need to get on the inside of your opponents and eat them up there - like tyson did back in the day.

• 3 weeks later...

I lift heavy, training more for strength and power than size (although that doesn't mean I won't gain some size in the process.) The trick is to work it around your training so it doesn't interfere. For instance, if your legs happen to get particularly sore when you lift with them, don't do them the day before you'll need them with whatever training you're doing.

i like to alternate heavy weights-low reps, with light weights high reps i find that this is what works for me the best for strenth, and i have found plyametrics better than weights for speed and strenth.

Fist visible Strike invisible

i like to alternate heavy weights-low reps, with light weights high reps i find that this is what works for me the best for strenth, and i have found plyametrics better than weights for speed and strenth.

not for strength... they can't be, since the resistance isn't progressive.

that is why you do more plyametrics when it is no longer a challenge.

No. when you add more, it becomes an endurance exercise, same as pushups. Who is stronger, someone who can do 100 pushups and only bench 135 or someone who can only do 50 pushups and bench 285? Strength is progressive. Progressive exercise with no weight is an endurance builder. Plyometrics are to build explosiveness. many plyo programs do not advocate more than 8-10 reps of an exercise. They are to be done HARD and explosively. Once you begin to draw them out, you are lessening their effectiveness.