• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

washing my belt

karateka477

The samurai did not really believe that, you know. They used to dump their swords for new ones regularly, and often owned many. That too is an urban legend.

Do you think samuri had so much extra cash that they could just run out to sword mart and pick up a new sword. What do you have to back up that statement.

Yes, I do think the Samurai had so much extra cash laying around that they could afford to own multiple swords and in many cases collected them. The Samurai were not poor soldiers as in our society today. The Samurai were the nobles of their time (think knights during the Middle Ages), and were the wealthiest people in Japan. Everyone else - farmers, merchants, fishermen, craftmen - were all poor in comparison to the wealthy Samurai.

I visited a swordsmith in Seki City, Japan outside of Nagoya while I was living there. It is a relatively famous city within the sword smithing industry in Japan, and has long been famous for swords of excellent craftsmanship. His father taught him, and he was taught by his father, etc going back generations before the Tokugawa Shogunate. They made then, and they make today, swords of very high ornamental quality, and swords of very high utilitarian quality, for wealthy folks who enjoy collecting them.

I remember saying something about the sword being the soul of the Samurai, and I was given a lecture about how the concept of a sword was, but the individual sword itself was not, because swords chip, shatter, bend, and are otherwise damaged with use. Sometimes even an expert will draw his to cut something for a show and hit it wrong and bend up the sword.

Any good swordsman worth his salt, Samurai or not, keeps a stash of swords, not just one.

And by the way, they also oiled and polished these swords, just as we today wash our belts.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would ask your instructor and see what he thinks about the situation.

Personally, I would not wash my belt, as it is a sign of all the training I have done. Gis are another story, though. :)

Evade, Block, Counter

If it works, use it!

• 3 weeks later...

I have to agree with >NidaninNJ<

the only time you wash your belt is when you have gotten it wet training at a beach camp or near water. your belt is the hard work that you have done, and the only thing that makes you different from another student. it is not there to make you look pretty.

https://www.Kyokushinaustralia.com

Dont be Bias in styles for we are all Practitioners of Martial Arts!

Ive always been taught not to was it because they say when u wash the dirt out of your belt, you wash out your Knowledge.

Just an idear m8

the thing that destroys your belt is when we go beach trainning the salt water wears your belt right in

The Reason I Train, Is So I Dont Have To Fight.

Ive always been taught not to was it because they say when u wash the dirt out of your belt, you wash out your Knowledge.

Just an idear m8

the thing that destroys your belt is when we go beach trainning the salt water wears your belt right in

So we shouldn't work out in the water because it washes out our knowledge?! HA! That's great! LOL!!! :lol: