• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

washing my belt

karateka477

Today my black belt, which is really just a thin white piece of string, broke. I mean it just broke.

So I went out and bought a new one, do I have to train for the shodan test again, or can I keep my level with the new belt?

Life is not measure in how many breaths you take, but many moments take your breath away

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today my black belt, which is really just a thin white piece of string, broke. I mean it just broke.

So I went out and bought a new one, do I have to train for the shodan test again, or can I keep my level with the new belt?

If you're a black belt , you're a black belt no matter what's on your waist.

Please explain how your black belt can be a thin white piece of string.????

What works works

Heh, had it happen to my brown belt back in the times. The expressions on faces of the people in changing room were rather priceless. :D

Hehehe! If anyone asks about it, just tell them that you got tired to the new one. Then take a photo of his expression (if he's one of those "belt shouldn't be replaced" -purists). :D

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

Cherish that belt for ever. Like an old glove or your favorite shoes, it fits only you. You may have a student one day worthy of recieving such an honor. It symbolizes more than some here can undrstand, Like a samuri sword it holds your spirit now.

place clever martial arts phrase here

I see that several people have worn their belts to just a thin string.

I am surprised as I have been involved in the martial arts for over 30 years and trained in numerous schools and not once see a belt that was just a string or even close to it.

What works works

People, come on! I was joking :D

Took a Finnish guy to understand the joke :P

LOL, Sensei Rick OSSSSSSSU!

All these urban myths probably come from all the phoneys that inundated the martial arts scene after karate's explosion to the market.

Life is not measure in how many breaths you take, but many moments take your breath away

The belts from Century MA {that I bought} weren't made to be washed by a machine or dried by one either. Even if the directions say it's okay.

Perhaps cold water with Woolite in a sink, and then hung out to dry.

If you have spots use a spot remover.

If that doesn't work, and or if it needs extensive mending, then just buy a new one.

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

The samurai did not really believe that, you know. They used to dump their swords for new ones regularly, and often owned many. That too is an urban legend.

My Boss studies with Dosho Shiro Shintaku, And i studies chambara breifly with him. He is every inch a samuri. I had a lengthy discusion with him on this topic and would beg to differ. and just because a guy once told you that, doesn't make it so. Do you think samuri had so much extra cash that they could just run out to sword mart and pick up a new sword. What do you have to back up that statement. I'm willing to research litterature to support my statement, or to support yours. Do you have any litterary reference that i can check on this with.l

place clever martial arts phrase here