• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or, you could spent the $5 to just buy yourself another belt. :wink

Okay, so we have the ones tossing out paragraphs of information, and then others tossing out their single-sentence unsubstantiated opinions.

I hope you include your self in that

regards maki

Hehe, indeed, which is why although i initially made single-sentence unsubstantiated opinions, i later realized this discussion, because of the misnomers presented, required a more informative presentation. Thus, the reason why my later posts here were 'paragraphs of information.' ;)

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Must try and write paragraphs of infomation. :lol:

I have been told by my sensei that once a belt touches skin(be it through a gi) That the belt should not touch the floor or be washed. This is part of the traditions and etiquette that we should continue. I have never read up on belt etiquette and can't substantiate my opinions.

But allowing for the differences in etiquette between dojo's the best advice has been offered IMHO, that is ask your sensei what he wants you to do.

Regards maki

We are necessarily imperfect and therefore always in a state of growth,

We can always learn more and therefore perform better.

But allowing for the differences in etiquette between dojo's the best advice has been offered IMHO, that is ask your sensei what he wants you to do.

Yep. :D

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Try using a little toothbrush to spot clean the stains.

That is what I will do. I have a friend that washed her belt in the washer and WOW! It looked Weird! :lol: :(

KarateKid101

"The answers to life aren't in the back of the book"

- Charlie Brown

I don't wash my belt for the simple reason that my instructor told me not to. I don't believe that it will wash away my knowledge but I do believe that it is important to practice discipline (doing what you are told to do...or not to do) and it is important to show respect for your instructor.

Different people train for different reasons but for me, I still like to train in schools that practice discipline and respect.

For those of you who train for the sole purpose of learning to fight, I respect your opinions as I have trained in fighting schools where etiquette was pretty much thrown out the window. Belts were often thrown on the floor, belts were washed, etc.) I respect these schools for their purpose (strictly learning to fight).

I don't think that one type of school is better than the other, it all depends on your personal reason for training.

What works works

we dont wash our belts, and we dont PUT them on the floor

however, especially during sparring, kids belts fall off

they just do, during every sparring class at least one kid looses their belt, and sometimes during other classes a belt will just come off, when running laps or something

so ofc it then falls on the floor, were not going to stop a sparring match for them to deal with it, someone just runs in and grabs it and they keep going

when the instructor remembers, he often goes around to every child before sparring begins, and tugs all their belts so they wont fall off :lol:

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

I put my belt on the floor, if needed. I also wash it, if needed. I still train and teach very traditional Okinawan karate and practice discipline and respect. For me, having clean clothes (including my belt) is part of this discipline and respect.

Putting the belt on floor...well, there's nothing wrong with that, if the floor is clean and you need a place to put your belt for a while (when training without do-gi top, for example).

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

I put my belt on the floor, if needed. I also wash it, if needed. I still train and teach very traditional Okinawan karate and practice discipline and respect. For me, having clean clothes (including my belt) is part of this discipline and respect.

Putting the belt on floor...well, there's nothing wrong with that, if the floor is clean and you need a place to put your belt for a while (when training without do-gi top, for example).

This is going back to doing whatever the instructor wants or don't want done. If the instructor wants you to wash your belt then you should wash it and if he doesn't want you to wash your belt, then you shouldn't. Doing what YOUR instructor tells you to do is practicing discipline and respect.

What works works

• 1 month later...

You should not ever wash your belt. At least thats what i am told. In the old days everyone had a white belt and the dirt and grass stains and whatever else eventually built up to make a black belt. Be proud of the stains if you ask me.

but if your instructor wants you to wash it, you should, i just have been taught the other way.

Focus