• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

washing my belt

karateka477

And of couse if your instructor told not to shower for 2 days after training, you'd do that too I'll bet.

Your instructor is deserving of respect inside the dojo. What you do to your gear and with your life after that is up to you,

Your instructor is being paid to teach a skill. He is NOT your conscience.

I don't buy into much of the whole sacredness of the gi and obi thing. But I think that's just ridiculous hyperbole and obviously not what he was trying to convey.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wash belt? no wash belt? We solved that as if you come to class and smell like an old sock, we'd drag you across the street and throw you into the mill pond.

However, it is highly recommended washing the belt by hand or if in the washer never with bright non-colorfast clothes! (and preferable air-dry to prevent shrinkage.)

He, he, he.. I still remember a student comming to class with a light pink gi and pink belt that was now 3 sizes way too small... he, he, he. They never listen...

And of couse if your instructor told not to shower for 2 days after training, you'd do that too I'll bet.

Your instructor is deserving of respect inside the dojo. What you do to your gear and with your life after that is up to you,

Your instructor is being paid to teach a skill. He is NOT your conscience.

I don't buy into much of the whole sacredness of the gi and obi thing. But I think that's just ridiculous hyperbole and obviously not what he was trying to convey.

I agree. I think there's a huge difference between washing an obi and being dirty. In our dojo the tradition is that we don't wash our obi. I know of one student who has, and he's told our Sensei. Our Sensei didn't approve, but he also didn't make a big deal of it. Personally, I don't wash my obi, but if it was covered in blood, or really dirty, I'd clean it by hand like others have suggested. I would never wash it in a clothes washer. But that's just my opinion. For the originial poster, I'd say what a few others have said and talk to your Sensei. He or she will notice if you clean it, and if they don't approve it might not be a good thing if they are hung up on this. (and as you can see from this discussion, some folks really care, and others don't, so find out which camp your Sensei falls into).

I'm sorry folks didn't get the sarcasm.

My point is that your Sensei is NOT your concsience/god/all powerfull/or all knowing. I see too much posting about just about everything, including medical issues that turn into a 'ask your Sensei' answer. Your Sensei is no different than your Math teacher. He is anindivisual with a specific set of knowledge. He will attempt to transfer that knowledge to you, usually for a fee. Nothing wrong with that. I just dont' get the awe some people have of everything Sensei says. If I feel my belt is dirty, it's a question of personal hygiene. I'll wash it. If the Sensei disapproves, I'll let him know that his interference with my personal sense of hygiene is not apreciated. I'll propably let him know with my feet. I'll go train somewhere else.

Keep in mind that the whole not washing the belt legend goes completely against everything I've read about the Japanese people. While deeply respectful of tradition, they are also an immensely proud people. Going around wearing a dirty attire is 180 degree away from that.

• 4 weeks later...

washing ur belt is somethin a lot of dojos oppose but com are u really gonna lose ur progress if u do? plus u change belts most of the time anyway so i kould see if ur in a school were its white - brown - black but ones with all the colors then i dont see a problem, for me well i started to grow my hair out and not long after i took up martial arts so i kinda go by my hair length to see how much ive grown in understanding martial arts

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95/CVQuiK/jackie-pose.gif

ill shave my hair off when im good and ready but i dont quite understand wht u mean

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95/CVQuiK/jackie-pose.gif

lol, it's hard when i have to explain my jokes.

Umm... we travel the belts, from white, to the rainbow of colors, to black, and then eventually back to white again. The concept associated with this refers to our path in learning, where initially it's all simple, it then becomes very complex, and eventually it is all simple again...

So the joke being, you start with short hair (white belt), you learn the system slowly, your hair grows, you then cut your hair, thereby going full circle (back to white).

Ah well... :roll:

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro