• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Domawashi-kaiten-geri and the Wheel Kick

Superfoot

Domawashi-kaiten-geri, or the roll kick is one of the kicks found in Kyokushin Karate. Can anyone tell me of its lineage, as in where is was derived from, and also, what is is used for, and when it should be used and how it should be used. I thank everyone for their responses.

Also, I have seen a video showing Kyokushin matches called "The Ultimate Test", where an individual performs what the commentator calls a "Wheel Kick". The best way I can describe it is that he performs a spinning crescent kick (using the outside of the ankle as the striking surface) but both of his feet come off the floor, and the kick travelsin a downward diagonal motion, almost coming down upon the opponent. Is this linked to the roll kick, i.e is it an improvised version of the roll kick to aid to help aid the individual performing the kick to quickly recover into their standing stance once dropping on the floor? Or is it an entirely different kick althogether.

Perfect Practice makes Perfect.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Superfoot

The Damawashi-kaiten_geri is known as the roll kick, wheel kick and I once heard it called the rolling hill kick.

The first time I saw it used was in 1988 and it was used to great effect. Then a lot of people started using it so more peple were wary of it. It became something of a desperation kick by people who couldnt do it properly.

As to when to use it - well personally I wouldnt but its like any technique - when the opening presents itself. Sorry I have no more info and I have no idea where its origins are.

By the way there was a Kyokushin fighter using it in the 1987 world Tournament - I think it was an Iranian called Munir Mossen (Sp?) and he performed it so well that after he delivered the kick to his opponents face he landed on his feet in a low crouch position, stood up and walked away from his then unconscious opponent.

Osu!

Why is it, when all is said and done, that more is said than done - John Fitzgerald Kennedy

I was wondering about it's origins myself , as for the other kick you mentioned, it's just another variation of it .

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

I love this kick, mainly heard it refered to as a 'rolling' kick.

A better variation is to draw the first leg into a knee as soon as you start to twist+jump, and then snap out a jodan-mawashi with the following leg.

Ive heard of this version called a 'wheelburrow' or 'sunflower' kick.

Osu.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

what is a Domawashi-kaiten-geri,I've never heard of this kick before.

Lol.. Read the posts above :lol:

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

The rolling kicks described above are best used in a tournament setting, where a referee can stop your opponent from attacking you while you're rolling or lying on the mat (if you didn't knock-out your opponenet).

Currently, there's a competitor in the Shin-Kyokushin (Midori's faction), by the name of Tsukamoto, who uses the rolling kick to great effect. Usually, the opponent is advancing or chasing Tsukamoto, whereupon he'll back-up just enough to roll forward at an angle to the advancing opponent and knock him out with a heel to the face.

I've also seen the wheel kick you describe. I can't qualify it as an improvement on the rolling variety. You really need the mat to cushion your fall 'cause you're basically landing on your back. Seems like a lot of effort to me when a well timed jodan mawashi geri is just as effective.

True, I cant argue about a simple well placed kick.

The version of the rollling kick where you swing mawashi-geri takes a fraction of a second longer to initiate, but is a lot more powerfull than a standard rolling kick.

My fav kO move is definantly Tobi-Ushiro-Kaiten-Mawashi-Geri.

Jumping spinning back-round kick.

Id never use it in a tournie or real situation though.

Osu.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."