• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Have I failed as a martial artist?

Not all persons present themselves 'consistently,' or even 'honestly.' He may very well have presented himself in a certain 'subservient' fashion up until he obtained the bb, then slowly switched back to his undisplayed persona.

In truth, you never can tell who it is you are instructing, assisting, communicating with, or learning from.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would make you think you have failed? , from what you said in your original post, you stepped back twice after being hit, that is not failure, that is respect for your art, and respect for your teachers guidelines in the school. Respect within the school is the most important aspect. the students must respect the teacher, and juniors must respect seniors, be it by rank or age. If a student crosses that line it must be delt with swiftly and if neccessary painfully. Incidents like that often lead to grudges, and sometimes vendettas, that is not acceptable in any school. It does nothing for the spirit within the school, or for the art being taught, and where does it stop, these sort of incidents have a way of multiplying and soon the school gains a reputation for lack of discipline within its ranks.

It is not the duty of the instructor, but of the senior students to sort out attitude of the juniors, and if that means a serious hiding, so be it, rather lose a student than have a student who lacks respect.

Without long practice one cannot suddenly understand Tai Chi : - Tai Chi Classics

I don't think that what you did could be make you a failure. That guy is a cocky jerk. What is did disrespected you, your instructor and the other people sparring that night. If your instructor did the same thing then I doubt that it really was wrong to do what you did.

You did'nt fail as a martial artist, but remember that in a dojo you are just training, my sensei always tells me that you can't get mad inside de dojo with the people you train because they are your friends, you are there to train and become better, so that in the street you can protect yourself. You are not there to get mad at some cocky guy, and your sensei should have told him to quit doing what he was doing instead of beating him, he will never learn that way. You need to have respect with the people you train, we always thank everyone when we finish because they make us better persons. :)

Lots of replies...just got back from vacation...

I think that some of you are right...he may feel that he isn't part of the "dojo family", as he has been gone. He also wasn't like this until he recieved his shodan, as well.

We hardly stop after the first hits, however...there's always time to counter, that's a rule...if you pull out before there's been plenty of hits, you deserve it. I'm talking I did a good four hits and he got one before I pulled out.

Peace;

Parkerlineage

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

I think you did the right thing, he kept doing it while you kept putting more and more agression into the match so he would know whats coming however he didn't and i think he deserved it...

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn