• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Which basic techniques to do 100 times?

My school has stopped holding dedicated BJJ classes and now just throws in the odd technique into our Standup classes. This is not enough BJJ for my liking.

Hence I plan to select 10 techniques to work on. With the time between our standup classes I want to grab a partner and practice these techniques.

I plan to do each technique 100 times total over a period of a couple of months. I know 1000 is what John Will (BJJ dirty dozen bb) recommends but BJJ is only a small part of my game hence 100 will have to do.

I am very much a white belt (I have only done about 60 classes). I am wondering which techniques you would recommend?

The techniques that I have chosen so far are:

1. Armbar from mount

2. Triangle choke from guard

3. Escape guard, under leg

4. Escape guard, over leg

5. Escape side control (they not controlling my neck)

6. Escape back control

7. Escape head arm control

8. Can openner from side control

9. Our 4 basic sweeps (back, front, reefing, can't remeber the last one?)

[edit] 2, 3 & 4 did say mount [/edit]

Edited by busling

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think you have your guard and mount confused. Guard (legs wraped around partner) Mount(sitting on top of partner) . Anyway, I would say those are great to practice but the best practice is just rolling with people and getting smashed and tapping by a variety of people.

I really don't know how much only 100 reps will help. I've always be told that you have a technique mastered and as second nature once you've done it 10,000 times. One of my judo coaches trains his main threw 300 reps PER DAY when he was training for a competition...

I think you have the wrong idea. Rather than practicing a technique endlessly, get with someone on a regular basis. Work on your techniques for a few minutes, then roll. All-out training is BJJ's greatest strength. Just be careful.

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

Guys thanks for the responses, they are all helpful.

I will add "Elbow escape" to my list.

I would really like to train a lot more and get to time to roll around. I am restricted by time, hence I will have to settle withless reps then are needed and probably less time rolling then I would like. Life is a balance and I will do the best I can.

I am not training BJJ for gradings or competition so it is not really high on my priority list.

practice the reps. then after you feel comfortable with the technique have your partner resit you from doing the technique just start off with light resistance then still try to do the move but over come his resistance. Don't have him resist to much were its an out right rolling match. Building up on resitance having your opponent counter your moves and you still making them work will help you learn the angles and diffrent ways of setting the move up you pick.

sincd bjj is a small part of your training get the most out of it you can. Some people can learn from all out sparring. Me I am not one of them. Postional sparring, postion maintence and technique resistace is what helps me learn faster.

try learning to hold guard while they are trying to pass, work on holding mout while they try to escape and vice versa. use your hips on almost all the moves and transitions you make.

trap and roll/upa technique combine that with the elbow and knee escape will help you get out of mount easier. Learning to combine moves works good also. ex. (say doing cross collar choke from guard on your opponent and then when the protect there neck trap the arm and go for arm bar.) or (go for arm bar they pull there arm out in your guard change your hips and body so you can switch to triangle choke) training is about learning I find alot of people starting off focusing more on sparring ends up a full out matches between each ohter and you can learn a bit but you probably will gain more from postional sparring and technique resistance. IMO

also pick postions you have the most difficult time in them and have your opponent put you in that postion and you have to work to get your way out while they try to hold on to the postion or go for sub and you defend and work to get out of the postion.

Bring a note book right down things you learned. New ways for you to set up techniques.

after a training session right down also what you feel your strong points are and also certain things you want to work on or feel your weak at and need to work on them and next training sessions pick one of those thigns you need to work on from your list and practice it over and over until you feel you can take care of it.

The note book is a definite good training tool. help keep track of ideas and things you learned as well as tracking your progress.

Good l luck in your training.

maybe for a little bit to gaouge where you are at. but you will get better by picking those week points and drilling it and then drilling it after you get comfortable with the motions with a some resistance from your partner. Bringing note books to write down stuff you learned what you need to work on is a good way to track your progress and help you stay focused.

All out sparring has its place but to do it all the time or let that be your focus you will learn some but you will get better faster with resistance drilling

In all honestly you could perform those techniques 1 million times and still not be able to use it on a Blue Belt level BJJ fighter. Why? Because your not doing any LIVE training. I have only been doing BJJ for 6 months but it has been 6 months of non-stop rolling, and I am confident going up against even a black belt in Traditional Jujitsu because I know they don't have nearly as much actually mat time as I have. Thier technique might be more pretty then mine but mine works and that is what counts(well atleast to me it does).

Peace and may God be with you...

Deus Ex Remake