• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Here is something about Tai Chi that you may find interesting. https://www.crane.50megs.com/index6j.htm

Bah, I read that and wasn't impressed. Is it possible that the story is true? Maybe, I haven't read the book he's referring to. But the author of this webpage hypes up taiji like it's some great mystical art that can't be used in real fighting unless you're some crazy mystical guy, and then it's an unbeatable art. Taiji is not mystical, and it's not for superhumans. Anyone can use it as self defense, but simply having it doesn't mean you're unbeatable.

Side note, though, I like how he actually uses pictures of some decently well known taiji people (some are actually good), including grandmaster Feng.

I haven't read the book either, but there is a good chance that the story is true, eventhough it is best to read the Mas. Oyama's biography first, before making a final judgement.

All I can say is that I believe that if Tai Chi is practised and mastered the way it is meant to be practised or mastered then it is a formidable art. My own sifu holds very high regards for this art and is of the same opinion.

Use your time on an art that is worthwhile and not on a dozen irrelevant "ways".

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i gotta' say, my tai chi instructor rocks. he has a nack for high lighting the applications in the form, and i must say, it's pretty simple. and that's yang style. isn't chen supposed to be the easiest to apply? i think i heard that somewhere. the eagle claw school around here, however, is wushu, and thus isn't much in the way of fighting. have you looked at both schools? you may find that you like one instructor considerably more than the other, and decide that way. maybe one has a far more down to earth teaching style than the other, ie: my instructor compared to the eagle claw guy.

that said, 45 minutes is a long way away. that's a lot of gas. how long are the classes? if they're an hour, it's only barely worth it, and that's if it's an awsome class. also don't forget, 45 minutes there, 45 back. man, that's a long time. i'd really take that into consideration.

y'know, i wonder if that ground percentage just comes from the fact that one person is always knocked down? and it's only 99% to allow for a margin of error....

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai